Chapter 26- Something Is Wrong

When the last bell rings, I grab Emery's hand and run out of school as fast as humanly possible.

"A little excited there, aren't you?" he says, pulling me back to stop from running. His cheeks are rosy, and I can see his breath in the air due to the cold temperature.
"I'm just so done with this place. I need to be on vacation."
He laughs and pulls me into a hug, warming me from the cold.
I look up at him. "Do you know how much you look like such a goober when you smile?"
"I don't care," he says, lowering his frozen lips closer to mine.
I push him away and take my car keys out of my jacket pocket. "Let's go."

"Finally, a car with no Ricky," Emery says, referring to the fact that he usually rides with us but went to Clare's house today.
"Hey, that's my twin brother you're talking about," I say, driving away from the school.
"I think you agree sometimes he's a bit too much," Emery says, placing his hand on my thigh.
"And what do you mean by that?" I get defensive.
"Woah. Woah. Woah. I'm just kidding babe. I was just saying that I don't like it when he tells us not to touch and shit like that."
"I guess," I say, feeling bad for being a tad rude to him. It's just Ricky is my twin, my blood, my biological boy copy. He's always there for me, and I feel I have to always protect him.
"Onto another topic, will you please tell me now what you were mad about last night?"
"I'll tell you when we get home."
"Okay," he says, looking out the window.

I open the front door to my house and suddenly snap.
"Emery," I say, turning around to face him.
"Yea?" he says with wide eyes.
"Why did you apply to USC?"
"H-How did you know about that?"
"It doesn't matter, Em. Just answer the question," I say, walking closer to him, making him back up and his back hit the door.
"Zoey, I-" he stops himself.
"You what?"
He closes his eyes and takes a breath. "I don't want to lose you."
"But Emery, you don't like California. You never have, and you're supposed to stay here for your mom. She needs you," I say quietly, calming down.
He doesn't say anything.
"Why did you hide it from me?"
"Because I knew this is how you would react."
"Yes Emery, this is how I react when you waste money applying to a college you're not even going to attend." I get a little fired up again.
He opens his eyes. "Zoey, you need to calm the hell down. It's not like I freaking got married to someone and didn't tell you."
I turn around and start walking upstairs as I say, "You still lied to me Emery."
"Zoey, don't leave me like this," he says, following me up the stairs.

When I get to my room, I start to take off my uniform.
"Fuck," I grunt, seeing my tights are bloody and that I got my period three days early.
"Zoey, I really think-" Emery starts, walking into my room to see my bloody tights.
"Yea, yea. It's blood. Get over it."
"Oh," he says as I throw the tights in the trash can in my bathroom.
"What?" I say, turning around.
"This is why you're acting so bitchy."
I look at him with a 'did you really just say that' look.
"No offense."
I roll my eyes and he comes closer to me, holding me in his arms.
"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. You know I'm still going to NYC next year, but I just wanted a second plan because watching you go on the plane to California will be the hardest thing I'll ever have to sit through."
I take a breath and smile up towards him. "You're right. I am being a bitch. And you are seriously the cutest boyfriend alive."
He smiles down at me.
"I should be the one saying I'm sorry. I love you."
"I love you too," he says, bringing his lips down to meet mine for a brief second.

"Now get changed and put on a pad or tampon or whatever girls use. I've already seen enough blood because of you."
I laugh and go into the bathroom to do as he says.

I come out of the bathroom to see Emery snuggled up in a blanket with my favorite ice cream sitting next to him.
I walk over to him. "What are you doing?"
"I thought we could watch a movie."
I lay down next to him and start eating the tub of ice cream.
"Oh, you're welcome, you're welcome. No need to thank me," he jokes.
I look at him. "Thank you, Emery."
He kisses my forehead and places his arm around me.

I get a text from Clare in the middle of the movie.
"Em, do you mind if we cut the movie short? Clare just texted me, saying she wanted to hang out tonight. Her and Ricky are on their way home right now," I say after pausing the movie.
"Um, I guess not," he says in a sad tone.
"I promise I'll make it up to you," I say, kissing his cheek.
"You don't have to," he says, pulling me to hug him.

When Clare comes over we start talking about the boys. Eventually the conversation got into talking about my first time with Emery, seeing we haven't really talked much about it yet.

"So you didn't like it?" she asks.
"I mean it was sweet and all, especially for our first time, but he felt so bad about hurting me that he said we're not going to do it for a while. I know he was just trying to be careful to not hurt me, but some part of me just wished he used me. He treated me like a fragile, little doll. There wasn't even foreplay."
"Wow," she says, surprised. "And he told you that you're done with sex now?"
"Yea. Like what the actual fuck? It's not like I was expecting to do it every day or something but maybe like once every few months when it feels like the right time."

After Clare leaves, I go into Ricky's room to see what the boys are up to. As soon as I walk in, Emery gets up.
"I'm gonna leave," he says, looking down.
"I thought you were staying the night," I say, grabbing his arm.
He doesn't look at me. "My dad texted me and asked me to come over."
"Oh. Well, text me when you get there," I say, a bit sad, following him to the door.
"Okay," he says, about to go through the door.
"Hey." I stop him, making him look at me. "Is everything okay?"
"Yea, I'm just annoyed about having to go over there," he says, but I feel like he's not telling me the whole truth.
"Okay." After I say this, there's an awkward silence.
I move up to kiss him, but he turns, saying, "I'm not feeling so well."
"Oh," I say.
He hugs me, feeling bad.
"I love you," I say, letting go of him.
"You too," he says quietly, leaving.

Something is definitely wrong.

Chapter 26 Author's Note:
Thanks so much for reading. Please comment your favorite line, leave your overall comments below, vote, recommend, and follow for updates. Thank you, again.

Hey guys!
Sorry this chapter was short, but it's worth it for the next one. <3