Chapter 22- Fight

It's Monday again. Great, another day of school.

I get out of bed, get dressed, brush my teeth, wash my face, and fix my hair. After that, I go downstairs to see Ricky eating breakfast.

"Good morning," he says happily.
"Morning," I say, sitting down next to him.
"Do you want anything to eat?" he asks.
"No, but thanks," I say.
There's an awkward silence for a couple of minutes.
"You seem a little uneasy. Are you okay?" he says, looking at me.
"Actually, no. I'm not. I know Emery is going to approach Mason today about what happened at the dance," I say, biting my lip.
I already told Ricky what happened between Mason and I. Yeah, he was mad I kept it from him that we went on a date, but overall, he was mostly mad at Mason.
"He should," Ricky says.
"I know, but I don't want him to get hurt," I say.
Ricky sighs, "You're right, I guess."
He pauses but then speaks up again, "We should get going."

When we get to Emery's house, I get out of the car and approach the front door. I knock on the door. No answer. I knock again. No answer. I call him. After three rings, he picks up.

"Hey. What's up?" he answers the phone.
"Where are you?" I ask.
"Shit. I forgot to tell you. My mom is driving me today. I'm already almost there," he says.
"Okay. Any reason why?" I say.
"I have to do something," is all he says.
"What do you have to-," I start, but he cuts me off.
"I gotta go. Love you. Bye," he quickly says, and the line goes dead.

"Ugh," I express, as I get back in the car.
"What happened?" Ricky asks.
"Emery's mom drove him to school. He said he has to do something," I say, running my hand through my hair.
"You don't think he's," Ricky says, stopping his sentence because I can figure out the rest.
"Drive," I scream, scared to see what Emery is going to do.

We get to school in record time. I speed walk into the building and run through the halls, pushing through crowds of people. I sigh in relief when I spot Emery at his locker.

I rush over to him.
"What the fuck did you do?" I whisper-scream at him.
He looks at me. "Nothing."
I let out another sigh of relief.
"Yet," he says under his breath.
"Yet?" I ask, my eyes wide.
"I couldn't find the little pussy," he tells me.
"Em, you aren't going to do anything," I say.
He takes my arm and drags me into a nearby closet.
"Why the hell not?" he screams. "We already talked about this."
"Yea, but I didn't say I was okay with it," I say.
"Z, I told you, I'm not letting him walk all over you," he says gently, taking my hand.
"And I told you, you don't have to do this. I don't want you to get hurt," I say, putting my other hand on his cheek.
I look at him with such a loving manor in my eyes that he reflects back.
It seems time stops for a few minutes and all there is in the world is us.
I hold the face of anger until he moves closer and closer, and only a few seconds later, his lips are on mine, warming them from the cold outside.
He moves back slowly and says, "It's happening, Zoey, and you're not going to stop me from doing this. It's what I have to do as your boyfriend. It's what I have to do as your friend for fucks sake."
"Emery," I say.
He leaves the closet, dropping my hand, with a look of vengeance in his eyes.

Fifth period, I get to lunch and sit at the table. I don't feel hungry for some reason. I look all around the cafeteria. No Mason. No Emery.
Clare and Ricky come to our table and tell me that they have to go to the library, asking me if I wanted to join. I tell them no and that I want to see Emery.
After about ten more minutes, Emery comes into the cafeteria and sits down next to me, harshly throwing his backpack on the floor in the process.
"What happened?" I ask.
"Nothing. I can't find him," he says, leaning his arms on the table and his head on his arms.
"Maybe that's not a bad thing," I say.
"Please don't start with this again," he says.
"Fine," I say and look of to my other side.
For a minute there's a pause in the conversation. I can feel him staring at me, his eyes burning into me.
He takes my hand under the table.
"You didn't get lunch," he says in a gentle tone.
I still don't look at him. "I'm not that hungry."
"Oh, okay," he sighs.
There's another pause until I hear a grumble in Emery's throat.
I turn back to look at him. He's staring intently at something, someone. I follow the imaginary path his eyes make, which leads me to Mason. He must've just walked into the cafeteria.
Emery starts to stand up, but I pull him back down to me by our interlocked hands.
"Em, don't," I say.
"It's not your decision," he tells me.
"Just don't do anything just yet. Wait until after school. I don't want you to get in trouble," I say.
He looks at me for a few seconds, contemplating.
He finally gives in. "Okay."