(15)

"mama?" ryan said when she saw her mom in the waiting room. her mother stood up and embraced her daughter, both of them wiping the tears from their eyes. "how is he?"

"he's in the ICU." her mother replied. "we can't see him right now." ryan nodded against her mother's shoulder before pulling away.

"can i do anything for you, mom?" ryan asked. her mother shook her head and patted the seat next to her.

"just sit with me, dear." ryan sat down and rested her head on her mother's shoulder.

cole sat down beside ryan and ryan put her hand in his. "thank you." she mouthed to him.

"anytime." he mouthed back.

her mother noticed the two and whispered in her daughter's ear. "who is that?"

"a friend." ryan simply stated.

"a friend?" her mother questioned. "really?"

"yes." ryan said firmly. "nothing more than a friend."

"if he was just a friend, why is he here? why not willa or tom or bex?"

"because i was already with him when you called." ryan said. "i really don't wanna talk about this anymore, mom. i've got too much on my mind." her mother nodded and ryan fell asleep on her shoulder.

after about thirty minutes, ryan was completely passed out. her head was now on cole's shoulder, and her hand was still laced with his. her mother stood up and moved to the chair beside cole.

"so, just friends?" she asked.

"just friends." he said. "i just wanted to be here for her, mrs. miller."

"you know, she's very lucky to have you." her mother said. "not many guys would come to the hospital for their 'friends'" ryan's mom made air quotes as she said 'friends.'

"she just needs someone to be here for her, and i will gladly be that person." cole said. ryan began to stir in her sleep so cole stopped moving and let her readjust.

"you are just the guy she needs." her mother said. "i never liked daniel. he was always trying to one-up her." she rolled her eyes.

"well, all i know now, is that she deserves someone who will stay by her side." her mother continued. "and you seem to be that guy."

"she just wants to be friends." cole said. "so i'm gonna be the best friend she could have."

her mother rubbed his arm and stood up. "i'm going to get a coffee. would you like anything?"

cole shook his head. "i'm fine, mrs. miller, thank you." her mother nodded and walked away.

"i'm not going to leave you." cole said to the sleeping girl. "ever."

little did he know, she was awake the whole time.

[3/16/17]

if you like teen wolf/stiles stilinski, go check out my book "Emergence." :)))