Chapter 10- Mountainside

We drove up the mountains and he took me to an upscale casual restaurant. There was a beautiful view of the ocean and the sunset. After we finished our dinner, we walked on a trail through the trees, and stopped at a clearing. It was close to a cliff, but there was a fence separating us and the steep drop. You could see the city lights, but when you looked up, you could see the stars shining bright. In the distance, you could see the moon reflecting off the ocean water.

"Beautiful up here," I said, taking in the view.

"Definitely. I live not too far away from here so I come here often to just... relax and think," he said.

We sat on the bench and stared at the city in a relaxing silence. It was a little chilly up here.

"You still have your sunglasses on?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot I had them on. I- I'll just go put them in the car," he stuttered.

"Hmm... strange," I thought to myself.

He came back and draped one of his hoodies over my shoulders. He sat back down on bench without his glasses on.

"You looked a little cold," he said, smiling at me. I could only see the outline of his face and vaguely some of his features.

"Thanks," I said.

"So... that Michael guy, is he just a friend?" he asked, nervously.

"Yeah, we've known eachother for awhile."

"Oh, that's nice," he said.

"Why do you ask?"

He looked at me, and started to lean in. Our lips met for a second, and then he pulled away.

"S-sorry," he said.

"No, it's alright," I reassured him.

"No, i-it's not," he stuttered again.

"Yes, it was. Don't worry about it," I said.

"Alright... let's just go," he said walking into the forest full of trees.

~~~

"You didn't do anything wrong," I said. We were in the car, on our way to my apartment, deciding that I could walk to work to get my car.

He didn't say anything.

"Cameron?" I asked.

He looked over at me.

"Are you okay?"

He sighed, "yeah. I just... I don't really know how to explain it."

We got to my apartment.

"Do you want to come in?"

"Yeah, sure," he said. We walked up the stairs to my apartment.

The door was unlocked.

"What the hell?" I thought, "shit, I didn't lock the door this morning."

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think someone might be in there," I whispered.

"We'll find out," he said as he turned the doorknob and walked in vigorously as he made sure I was standing behind him.

"Michael?" I asked.

"Oh. What are you two doing here?" he asked, practically jumping off the couch.

"I live here," I said.

"The question was mostly directed at Cameron, but you know, all as well," he said.

"I just wanted to walk her in, make sure there wasn't an intruder," Cameron said.

"I'm no intruder. I just thought we were going to hang out or something?" Michael asked, looking at me.

"Yeah, Michael, isn't it a little late though? I have work in the morning," I said a little harsher than intended.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll see you later, Y/N," he said in a discouraged voice and walked out.

"Does he live close?" Cameron asked. We sat down at the couch.

"Yeah, down a few doors," I said.

"Oh, didn't expect that close," he said, laughing lightly.

I smiled, "yeah."

We sat in an awkward silence for a few seconds before I said something.

"So, are you really okay?"

He bit his lip and fixed his sunglasses, "yeah, it's no big deal."

He spoke again before I could say anything, "I should probably go. I have a class to go to in the morning."

"Alright, well thanks for the night. It was nice," I said.

"Glad you liked it," he said with smile, and then he let himself out.

"That was a little strange."