Chapter 26- An Explanation

"Okay, what's going on?" I asked as I sat on the bed.

He set the duffel bag and backpack on the chair and laid on his back next to me.

"Okay..." he dragged on and sat up.

"Where do you want me to start?" he asked.

"Why you faked your suicide."

"Oh... that. Well, I was in a really bad place. I didn't have any friends and my parents were shit. All I had was you. I couldn't deal with it because you were always busy when I needed you most. Whenever we got to see each other, it gave me my will to live. But... I just couldn't live off of that anymore," he said. And then he stopped.

"And then, one night, it got really bad," he continued, "some guys at school shoved me outside under the bleachers and each took their turn punching me and kicking me. When I went back home, my dad threw a beer bottle at me and my mom told me to, "go suck a dick," I don't know... I was already at my breaking point so I wrote my parents a letter, telling them I would throw myself in the river and I left. I took a train and... left," he finished.

"So why'd you find me again?" I asked.

"I couldn't live with how we left off. I left on a lie. I knew I had to find you again to settle it. Then... I found you. Working in the coffee shop. I knew it was you. I didn't have a single doubt that it wasn't you. And... here we are," he said, getting up.

"So why'd you lie, telling me you were Cameron?"

He turned around and faced me, "well, to you, I died. I didn't think it would make sense to just explain it all. I felt like you had to get to know me again, I thought you forgot about me, and if I reminded you of who I was, then I could just explain it all."

"But why'd you distance yourself from me? I didn't hear from you for about a month," I said.

"I kissed you and I thought I was moving too fast, and I was afraid you were going to reject me. But then I told myself that I couldn't do this to you... again. I didn't know what to do. So I figured out what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Not the details, but just the broad picture," he said.

"And what was that?"

"To be with you."