Chapter 32- The Answer

I traced circles around my thigh while thinking about the question Calum just asked me as he looked back and forth between the road an I.

"Umm... I- I don't know, Cal. It was four and a half years ago," I said.

"But that doesn't answer my question."

"I don't know. I can't even comprehend that you're alive, Calum. I wasn't expecting to ever see you again," I said, quietly.

"But... do you still love me?"

"I don't know, Calum."

~~~

We pulled into the driveway of a house. It was a really... it was huge. The house, more like mansion, was surrounded in a black, steel fence. It had three garage doors that were all made of glass and were bordered by a black trim. We got out of the car, and I looked up at the modern house.

Calum opened the trunk, getting the bags out from the car. Which were only two duffel bags.

We walked into the house and I followed Calum. Walking past the living room, dining room, and kitchen, up the stairs to a carpeted hallway, and into what I assumed was the master bedroom. In the middle of the room, there was a king sized bed facing a window that allowed the view of the mountains to come in. Behind the bed was was white curtain that separated the space between the bed and the "living area," which had a pullout bed that faced a flat screen tv on top of the fireplace.

He put the duffel bags on a chair in the corner of the room and led me back downstairs into the kitchen.

"Hungry?" he asked. The first thing he's said since he asked the question in the car.

"Yeah, " I said, sitting on a barstool and leaning on my arms on the white, marble countertop.

He opened the fridge/cabinet and got out (Favorite snack.)

"This okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, my favorite," I said as he handed it to me.

"I know," he mumbled to himself.

~~~

It was nighttime and we were laying down in Calum's bed. He was reading a book while I fidgeted with my fingers.

"Calum, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings when I said I didn't know if I love you. I mean, it's been awhile since I last saw you and-"

"I know," he said.

"Then you don't have to stop talking to me..."

He closed his book, putting a finger in between the pages where he left off.

"How would you feel if you stopped everything for someone you love, the most important person in your life, and they weren't sure if they loved you back?" he asked, looking at me.

I didn't say anything.

"Yeah, I thought so..." he said with sadness in his voice. And at that moment, I had the urge to hug him and make him feel better.

"I'm sorry, Cal, but-"

"Don't apologize for your feelings," he sighed, "I'm tired. Let's just go to sleep."

And with that, he turned off the lights, rolled over, and went to sleep.