Chapter 30- His Promise

"How am I supposed to believe you?" I asked.

"If I do something that hurts you. Anything at all. I'll take you back to America, back to your apartment, and you'll never see my face again," he said, looking at me through the rearview mirror. Eyes filled with emotion and solemnity.

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

~~~

"Okay, I guess we should eat. I don't want you passing out again," Calum said, getting out of the car. I followed and he took my hand in his as we walked into iHop.

"Table for two," he said to the waitress.

"Right this way," she said, walking towards a booth. She set the menus on the table as Calum and I sat down.

"Can I get you two started off with some drinks?" she asked. Her voice was really high pitched and full of enthusiasm. She reminded me of a cheerleader with an outgoing personality and blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail.

"I'll have (chocolate milk or juice)," I said.

"And you, sir?" she looked towards Calum.

"Just a water would be fine," he said.

She nodded, and walked off. We sat in silence for awhile while we looked over the menu.

"Do you know what you're going to get?" he asked, looking at me.

"I think I'm just going to get the strawberry banana pancakes," I said, "what about you?" I shut the menu, and placed it at the edge of the table.

"I'm not gonna get anything," he said.

"Oh, how come?" I asked.

He shrugged, "not that hungry today."

"So are we in Canada yet?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, we crossed the border while you were sleeping," he said.

"Oh... Aren't I supposed to have a passport?" I asked.

"Yeah. I got it the morning I got you. I got your passport, your phone, your ID, and some of your clothes," he said.

"Y-," I got cut off by the waitress setting our drinks down, "are you two ready to order?"

"I'll have the strawberry banana pancakes," I said.

"And you, sir?"

"Umm... I'm okay," he said.

"Alright, well if you need anything, let me know," she said with a smile on her face and walked off.

"You have m-my phone?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's in a duffel bag with the rest of your stuff," he said, taking a sip of his water.

"Where's th-"

"In the car, Love," he said with a smile. I nodded.

"So you're birthday's in a few days," he said.

"Yeah? I forgot about that," I said.

"19... " he said to himself, "what do you want to do?"

I shrugged.

"C'mon, you have an idea," he said. And he wasn't wrong, I knew what I wanted to do.

But I shrugged.

"Okay, if you had the chance to do anything for a day, what would you do?" he asked.

"Anything?" I asked.

"Anything," he smiled.

"Well, I guess it would start off with breakfast in bed; waffles, orange juice, and bacon. Then a walk on the beach. Maybe a couple hours of shopping. And maybe a long drive somewhere pretty. Dinner under the stars in a field... I don't know," I shrugged.

"Sounds nice. I'll see what I can do, Love," he said with a smile as he placed his hand over mine on the table.

"Strawberry banana pancakes," the waitress said as she put the pancakes on the table.

"Thanks," I said.

She smiled and walked off. I quickly ate the stack of pancakes surprisingly fast.

"Damn, you were hungry," he said.

"Apparently," I said.

The waitress came back and took my plate. She gave us the check and Calum paid. We walked to the car and Calum told me to get in the passenger seat while he got something from the trunk. He came back and turned the key in the ignition.

"So where to next?" I asked.

"We're going home, Love."