04. Raiders

HARRY

My loyal mare steadily carries me on her back as Miss Evans sits perched upon her stallion beside me, my eyes involuntarily glancing her way every few seconds.  I still can't wrap my head around the fact she thinks my family would let these people get tortured without a single care, let alone that my uncle sees me as a nuisance. The whole thing is madness, impossible.

The darkness of the forest along with a chilling silence is making me feel a little queasy, a fear inducing tension surrounding me and making my body alert and in need to defend itself from danger that is currently non existent but very much a possibility.  I know what Miss Evans wants to show me won't be a pretty sight and I am aware I've been in danger from the moment I stepped out of the mansion without any of my guards.  But for some reason, despite my fear, I feel somewhat safe by her side.

"You are not quite used to female company, are you?" Miss Evans remarks, that never faltering grin plastered to her face.  "Or am I such a pleasant sight to your eyes? I don't believe I am fit to make comments about my physical appearance, but my personality is another thing. I am amazing if I do say so myself."

"I haven't known you long enough to be able to tell much about your personality, but from what I have seen so far, you are mad," I tell her, a smile curving my lips.

She lets out a puff of a laugh, looking amused by my remark. "Thank you, I aspire to be as mad as possible. It keeps people away, just what I need."

"What is the name of your stallion?" I inquire, looking at the animal with a smile.

"Midnight," she replies. "Because of his colour." She strokes his neck, a gentle expression settling on her face.

"My girl here is Star," I tell her, eyeing the cloak she has put on along with a pair of trousers and a linen white tunic. She had the same clothes on when she robbed me. "You are not planning to rob anyone, I hope."

"Oh no, my last robbery has brought me plenty of supplies," she says in a teasing tone, shooting me a wink. "But no promises."

Little thief!

"While we're at it, I wish to inform you I'd like to get my stolen things back."

"And I'd like to live in peace, but we can't always have what we want, now can we?"

"Perhaps I wasn't clear, Miss Evans. That was not a request, it was an order," I try to sound as firm as possible, but judging by her still amused expression, I am terrible at it.

Note to self: learn how to be more manly or at least learn how not to smile for longer than a few minutes.

"Apologies, Mr Styles, but I am afraid your title nor orders mean nothing here." Miss Evans shrugs, looking ahead, her face partially hidden by the hood of her dark crimson cloak. I figured she would know my last name now that she is familiar with my identity. "Or perhaps I should call you 'your Highness'."

I rack my brain to find a clever enough remark but it turns out I have none.  I notice the battle sounds and screams from earlier have evaporated, meaning that the attack has probably reached its end, a shudder running down my spine. I don't know if I am mentally prepared to encounter whatever is waiting for me on the battlefield, but I have to see the cruelty I'd been deprived of while growing up. I've been idealising people and the world my entire life, it is time I learn what is behind the facade.  This is the type of situation I am not used to and if Niall were to find out about my secret rendezvous, I am sure his heart would give out.

"How are we going to do this?" I ask quietly. "Shall we wait for a perfect moment to attack, raising our swords in the air and lurch at them with a winning battle cry-"