14. Female dark magic

HARRY

That was terrible!" I snap as I pace back and forth across my room, Silas' dark eyes following my every move.

"Could you elaborate? I honestly don't see why did they get so angry." He shrugs, gulping nervously.

"Why? Why," I say calmly. "Cursing at them in Latin and threatening them to turn them into cows usually offends people."

"Hmm yes, I see how that might have come out wrong." He nods a few times, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

"I shall not allow you to attend another royal meeting ever again, I want Amelia back." I cross my arms, knowing I sound childish, but I cannot help myself. I've got used to her organisation skills and overall presence.

Amelia has been absent for three days now, apparently dealing with "monthly female issues" or experiencing the effects of "female dark magic" as Silas had put it. All in all, it proved to be a large inconvenience for me because I've been stuck with Silas, or better yet, my temporary self proclaimed adviser.

"Ah, but she is unavailable and I am the only one who can replace her for now." He smiles widely, but when he sees my unamused expression, it falters.

"That's not true, trust me. We may be friends and make jokes while we're together, but the council meetings are serious. It's my time to prove myself worthy of being their king one day, of living up to my father's legacy. This kingdom is the biggest and most prosper one out of all others and I need the approval of almost every person in the council. They all have important titles and last names, without their support I wouldn't last a day as king."

Silas' cheeks are bright red by the end of my speech. "I'm sorry. But you have to admit they had it coming, that much arrogance needed to be stopped."

"You are lucky my father wasn't there," I reprimand him. "Yes, they might have deserved it, but a true gentleman would know not to allow their arrogance ruin his composure. If there is something I have learnt as a prince is that you must never allow yourself to succumb to your emotions and remain calm in any situation you are provoked. I also need to surround myself with people who understand that."

He shrinks as if to make himself look smaller, his shoulders slumping with my every word. "And Amie manages to keep her temper in check during those meetings? Doesn't sound like my lioness."

"That is what is so special about Amelia, she tells them everything they deserve and puts them in their place in such a manner they cannot say she was rude nor attempted to offend them," I say with a small smile. 

"In that case, my sincerest apologies, your Highness. Please let me stay with you, please please pleaseee, I can do this. I can even practice with you like she does. I may not be good with weapons but I am good in avoiding getting hurt."

I look at him with uncertainty. "All right, I am willing to give you another chance."

"Great, I promise you're going to love my company." He winks, a small smirk curving his mouth.

👑👑👑

"Just a moment, son," King Henry says as he clasps his hands in front of him, staring at the chess board in front of him intently. "Hmmm..."

I fiddle with the numerous rings decorating my fingers as I watch him, a bored expression on my face. "You've been playing that game for three days, father, perhaps it is time to give up."

"As my father used to say, life is like a chess game. One wrong move can cost you the finest soldiers or even your head, make sure to play it with calculated moves and rethink everything twice," the King recites without looking up.