47. Blame

AMELIA

There is less than a week left for us to reach Solis. After almost two years of travelling and forming an army, we are finally, finally on our way back home. However, our first stop is nowhere near the palace grounds, we have yet to properly organise the plan of our attack and go through all details. 

We sent hawks to deliver the message of our return to everyone that absolutely needs to know such as Adrian, my family, and Captain Jones. I cannot wait until all of us meet up and I can finally hug each of them, that's the only thing giving me a sense of peace and even a bit of joy. The past six months have been the hardest in my life, ever since the death of my son, but I found the strength to endure it all and it's made me stronger. There is nothing that can destroy me anymore.

"You seem... not sad," Niall notes, a wide smile curving his lips. "And it's so refreshing to see you like that."

I look away from the horizon and at him, expelling a quiet sigh. "I know I will see my family in a few days and it's giving me strength. I cannot wait to see my little sister! She's nineteen now, a big girl." I manage a small smile at the thought. "I miss her so much. And Zayn, I miss seeing his constipated face whenever I hug him. And I miss Silas and his latin books."

Niall cringes at the mention of Silas. "Right, I forgot about him. Perhaps I should just throw myself into the water and swim away while I still can." He leans over the railing, looking down.

"Niall, I don't think I ever thanked you for being here for me all this time. It means a lot, I don't know if I would have endured all this... if I would even be here right now if it weren't for you." I lift my arms, pulling him in a strong hug.

It takes him a moment to react, but he hugs me back, giving me a light squeeze. "You were there for me when I needed it, you stood up for me in front of my father. Besides, we are family now, right?"

"Who would have thought I would be this close to you, remember how much you used to hate me?" I ask with a smile as I pull away, pinching his cheek playfully.

"Hate you? No, I simply wasn't quite fond of your presence. Kind of like how I am with Silas."

"For someone who claims he doesn't like him, you sure mention him a lot. Every time we speak for that matter," I tease him, raising my eyebrows questioningly.

"Not true..." His cheeks flush, palm rubbing the nape of his neck. "I, uh, I better get back to my cabin, it's getting kind of late." He leans in and lightly kisses my forehead.

I watch him leave before turning towards the horizon again, closing my eyes and inhaling the pure air. When I hear footsteps behind me, I open my eyes. "Forgot something, Ni-" I cut myself off when I notice it's in fact Harry, my muscles tensing slightly as I get nervous instantly.

"Not who you were expecting, I see," he mutters, leaning his forearm against the railing beside me while turning to face me, crossing one ankle over the other. "You've been spending an awful lot of time with Niall lately."

"Yes, you see, he actually wants me in his company and not just look for me when he needs a quick fuck." I take a step away from him, feeling my anger rising.

Harry frowns at that, standing to his full height. "That's not-"

"True?" I let out a bitter laugh. "First of all, I do not need to explain myself to you. And second of all, do not act like you don't come into my cabin only when you have too much energy you can't spend anywhere considering we are stuck on a ship. Good news, we'll be reaching the land soon, so you won't have to need me anymore in that way. Now excuse me, your Highness."