57. Prince in distress

AMELIA

AMELIA

Ten thousand soldiers. One large army. The King and his son stand at the front, staring at the Solis palace that was once their home; I can only imagine what they must be feeling, being so close yet so far away to everything that belongs to them. I am situated all the way on the back with Joe to my left, my mind reeling with all the possible outcomes of the attack, my heart beating rapidly. The two of us are going to monitor the battle and give instructions to the soldiers waiting for their turn, participating in the whole process in our own way.

Edgar was, of course, prepared for us. His army of approximately seven thousand men has slowly spread in front of us on the battlefield, shielding what he had stolen from his brother. Just like expected, the coward doesn't stand at the front of his army, obviously choosing to stay on the walls, observing the battle and waiting for it to end. But that won't stop us from getting inside and taking his life. His tyrannous ruling ends today.

The tension is weighing me down as I keep my eyes on Harry, terrified of what could happen to him. No matter how hard I tried, I could not talk him out of fighting on the field, his foolish pride and sense of honour getting the best of him and clouding his judgment. He left me no choice but to take matters into my own hands; even if it costs me his trust and love, he will survive.

"Are you certain you want to do this? He is not going to like it," Edward asks beside me, his dark blue eyes finding mine. He throws an apple in his hand in the air before catching it again and shining it on his clothes casually. He then brings it to his mouth and takes a bite. I wonder how can he eat at a time like this.

"I don't care. Just follow my lead and do not question me again. You pledged your allegiance to me so stay true to your word," I snap at him.

Despite my harsh tone, he remains unbothered, a small smirk curving his lips. "As you wish... your Highness."

In the next few minutes, battle cries fill the air, the stomping of hooves and clash of metal ringing all around. Blood coats the blades of the swords being swung around, painting the ground red. One by one, massacred bodies fall, both sides fighting for what they believe in. A man stabs another through his chest. The other cuts someone's hand off before spilling out their guts. A few men get beheaded, some lose their limbs, eyes, whatever the enemy can reach. But all of them in the end lose their lives. I am disgusted to see what humans are capable of doing to each other yet I am forced to do the same if I want justice to prevail.

Silas, Zayn, and Adrian are lost in the chaos while Henry has hopefully infiltrated himself into the palace, searching for his brother. All of my efforts are going into giving orders and helping Harry get between the palace walls. Sweat trickles down my face, throat burning from excessive breathing and shouting. I am not complaining, though, the rest have it worse than I do. But just like them, I am ready to die.

"Take courage and fight! Attack them like wild beasts!" I hear Joe shout when another group of our soldiers pushes their way through the field, finding a life to take.