31. Duty

HARRY

It's been two weeks since I last saw Amelia, each day leaving me more and more empty. To make it even worse, the pirate attacks have got frequent, leaving us with barely any fleet and trading ships. Our kingdom has a strong army, many weapons and horses so if someone was to battle us on land, we would stand a chance. But on sea, things are different; our soldiers are not prepared for those conditions.

All the voices around me are like a faint echo, my face void of all emotions as I stare at nothing in particular. There is an empty space beside me where Amelia used to stand as my adviser, my fists clenching at the thought. If this wasn't my duty, I wouldn't be on this bloody council meeting, she was the only one who made them bearable for me.

"There is no time to build more ships, and purchasing new ones would take too much time, not to mention the costs," one of the members says.

"Your Majesty could ask King Stephan of Roseburne for help, he has been our best ally for years," another one suggests. "He has very strong and powerful fleet, one of the best in these areas."

"This is not his problem to deal with, allies or not, he wouldn't risk losing so many of his people and ships. He's warned me about it already," King Henry retorts tiredly, letting out a huff. The attacks have taken their toll on him, the reason behind them known yet at the same time unbelievable and unacceptable. He's having a hard time digesting the fact his brother is behind all this.

"But if the kingdoms were to join, he would be bound to help you," one of his advisers says, making the King frown and glare at him.

"Are you suggesting I should sell my son for their help?" My father snaps at him.

"Bond made by marriage of two heirs is a very powerful thing, your Majesty. And possibly our only chance to defeat that damned pirate army. They are growing in number each day and our soldiers aren't trained to fight on sea, besides, we've established you do not have enough ships."

I don't fail to notice the look the King casts at Joe, who drags his finger over his lips, pondering about the suggestion. He sighs and nods, obviously not seeing another solution to this as well.

My entire body tenses as my face slowly drains from all colour from the sudden shock as my eyes nervously trail around me, noticing how everyone is staring at me somewhat expectantly. I know our situation is bad to put it mildly, but there is another way, right? There has to be, the thought of having to marry Katherine is more than unappealing to me, especially since my heart is set on someone else. Unable to speak, I decide to leave the meeting as fast as I can, hearing murmurs as the heavy doors shut behind me with a thud.

Only now I realise how heavily I am breathing, my heart thumping almost painfully against my rib cage. I've always known a ruler should put his people and kingdom above everything, but I never truly acknowledged it until now. It was the most important lesson my father had taught me and I thought I comprehend its meaning, but I see that I truly realise the significance behind the words now.

"The heaviness of king's crown represents the heaviness of his duty," my father said to me once.

I know my father is going to leave the choice to me, he would never forcefully make me marry Katherine. There is only one person that can make King Henry forget about the fact he is King and make him fall down to his knees if it would ensure their well being; and that person is me. He often makes sure to remind me I am his treasure, far more valuable than any jewel or golden crown he has. Not even his love for my mother can compare.

It might be linked to the fact my mother had multiple miscarriages before they finally had me. That is one of the biggest reasons why I'd spent so many years of my life behind the palace walls, protected from the real world.