44. Pain

HARRY

HARRY

The first thing I notice is blood, the red substance coating the white layer of snow. Blood stained weapons along with all twenty decapitated bodies of the soldiers left to guard our house are scattered all around, bringing a burning acid into my throat, my chest seemingly constricting as air refuses to flow into my lungs. My legs are barely holding me up, hands beginning to shake. I don't seem to feel the bitter cold nor the snowflakes carried by a howling wind melting on my skin and nipping it.

"No... Adam!" Amelia's terrified scream snaps me back to my senses as she runs into the house, the door being widely open.

I somehow manage to move my legs and follow her, careful not to step onto any of the bodies on my way. When I enter inside, I notice our son's crib is placed directly in front of the opened door, his small body lying inside, uncovered and unprotected from the harsh wind and cold. Amelia releases a horrified gasp, quickly taking him into her arms and hugging him to her chest.

"Oh my God, he's- he's so cold..." her voice cracks as she looks down at him, kissing the top of his head. "Harry, he is not responding, f-fire, we need fire!"

Niall immediately goes to take care of it, kneeling in front of the fireplace, working on lighting the logs placed inside. I seem to be glued to the spot, still unable to quite process the chaos around me.

"Adam, mi niño?" (My little boy.) Amelia mutters as I take off my coat and approach her, quickly helping her wrap him in it and warm him up. "How could anyone do this to a small defenceless child? They left him to freeze!" She exclaims, tears starting to slide down her cheeks as she kisses his head over and over again. "Wake up, come on."

"He will, don't worry," I tell her, noticing barely visible movements of his chest. His skin is freezing to the touch, my heart feeling as if it's going to burst from fear.

"The fire is ready!" Niall bellows and Amelia rushes ahead, lowering herself onto the floor.

"You will be all right," she says quietly, holding him close to her chest and near the warmth of the fire. She keeps mumbling soothing words in her native tongue while I silently pray I hear his whimpers to let me know he is alright.

"My Lord, your father..." Niall mutters, making me shift my attention to where is he looking.

My father is slumped in the corner of the room, his head hanging low with his chin resting against his chest, his attire bloody and a sword placed beside him. My feet carry me towards him hastily and I kneel in front of him, placing my hands on his shoulders, trying to get him to react. "Father?" I say, noticing how my voice cracks. "Father!"

His chest is moving, meaning he is still alive but unconscious. When I let my eyes sweep over his body, I realise he doesn't seem to have any lethal bleeding wounds, but he has bruises and cuts all over him and he has most definitely received a harsh blow on the head. "Thank Heavens, he's alive! Try to get him to respond." I look up at Niall and he nods.