50. Arrival

HARRY

I look down at my empty goblet previously filled with fine red wine, deciding I should stop drinking for the night. I've drank three full goblets, enjoying both the taste and its effect on me. I know I'm slowly developing a drinking problem, but it proved to be the best emotional pain reliever I could find.

"I still think we should stay in Roseburne," Joe says as he leans back in his seat, twirling his goblet between his fingers. "Plush beds, solid walls, servants all around. But no, let's get back to tents, uncomfortable makeshift beds, and shitting outside, why don't we?"

"Quit whining, Joe, you know we shall be safer when we get back to The Border. Enjoy while you can, we leave first thing tomorrow," my father reprimands him with pursed lips, flattening his palms against the table in front of him, a large map covering its surface. His eyes take another sweep over the map, various colourful figurines scattered over it, indicating who will be where during our attack.

My mouth splits open in a yawn and I quickly cover it with my palm. "Can I be excused for today? I need to rest, it's pretty late. We all do."

Henry stands straight and looks at me, sighing tiredly. "Of course, son. You did well today, your strategy planning has improved drastically. I remember when you didn't even want to hold a sword and now you are ready to fight no matter the odds."

I slowly push my chair back and rise to my feet. "That prince scared of his own shadow does not exist anymore. After all, I shall take your place once we retrieve the kingdom. People want a strong leader, not a whimpering child sitting on that throne."

"Ooh, spoken like a true leader. Very masculine, I especially like the frown on your face, makes you look much more firm." Joe grins playfully. "To you, manly Harry." He tips his head back and finishes his wine in a few large gulps.

I wish them both good night and leave the throne room, the burning torches lined against the walls of the corridor providing me with light and diminishing the darkness enveloping me. Rolling back my shoulders to stretch them out a bit, I slowly head towards my room. For a few moments, I stop beside Amelia's, wanting to go inside so desperately, but deciding to stay away. She still keeps her distance and I understand why, but I just wish she would tell me how to fix the damage I caused because I seem to be too dense to figure it out.

When I reach Niall's room, on the spur of the moment I decide to take a turn and visit him. Considering my action wasn't planned, I open the door without knocking and step inside. The sight of Silas and Niall standing in a rather interesting position greets me; Silas' back is pressed against Niall's chest as he holds the blade of a knife against his throat, both of them with smug expressions on their faces.

"Um, my apologies for interrupting your... whatever it is, but I would like to have a word with you, Niall," I say, watching as both of them blush and step away from each other.

"Your Highness." Niall nods, clearing his throat awkwardly. "I was just showing him a few battle techniques." He sheathes his knife, standing with his shoulders pushed back.

"I almost had him before you came in," Silas proudly comments.

"Yes, you almost had me slitting your throat," Niall retorts.

"Please, I am too charming to kill, dog boy."

"That won't help you on a battlefield."

"Oh, but you will, right?" Silas smirks a little. "My own angry knight in shining armour."

Niall rolls his eyes, glancing at me. "Come in, Harry. Silas, leave."

"Alright, I see when I am not wanted." Silas lifts his hands in surrender then stretches out one towards Niall. "Thank you for your time."