28. Secret

HARRY

There is a bored look on my face as I walk through the vast garden with Katherine by my side, her voice completely blocked out as my mind plays hundreds of different and I daresay actually interesting ways I could be spending my afternoon. A few steps ahead of us, a table and chairs are settled, hot tea waiting for us. Unfortunately, this means at least one additional hour of mindless chatter.

I force a polite smile as I grip one of the chairs, pulling it out and waiting for her to take a seat. She beams at me and thanks me, lowering herself on it. I take a deep breath before sitting beside her as servants pour the tea for us. I quickly reach for my cup to make myself busy, blowing the steam. Out of courtesy and politeness of a gentleman I am, I believe it is time for Katherine to find out we are never going to get married.

"Katherine... you've been here for a while now. Excuse me for being so open, but what is it that you are hoping to accomplish?" I ask, pinching my bottom lip between my fingers.

Katherine looks at me and a smile spreads over her face. "A chance for you and me, Harry. We could be happy together."

"Honestly, I don't believe in that. We hadn't been compatible before, what makes you think we are now? Nothing has changed."

She visibly tenses, becoming nervous. "What are you trying to say?"

"I am trying to say that we shall not get married, Katherine." I take a sip of my tea.

"But our parents-"

"Pardon me for interrupting, but our parents don't define our lives, we do. Be honest with me, do you really wish to marry me?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Yes!" She heartily exclaims, making me look at her in surprise.

"So you love me?" I narrow my eyes.

Her cheeks get flushed with anger. "Th-that doesn't matter! I want you!" The only thing lacking is her stomping her foot on the ground to complete the childish behaviour. She only wants me because she cannot have me.

I trail my gaze around me until it stops on a certain figure dressed in a pretty green dress, her long curls styled in a bun, a few dark ringlets framing her face. I can't help but smile. Amelia.

I cannot hide my surprise when I notice my mother by Amelia's side, her head nodding in agreement to something she is saying, a smile almost spilling over my lips at the sight. Could it be that Queen Annemarie is finally warming up to her, or at least accepting she is my adviser, making her a very important part of my life.

"She is certainly something else, isn't she? Not at all ladylike," Katherine comments, talking about Amelia.

"Does it matter?" I ask calmly.

"It is a man's duty, her position."

"Then why is she so bloody good at doing it?" I finally snap. "It's not a good enough reason."

Katherine looks at me, surprised with my reaction. "Still... people talk, your Highness."

"So what? Even if their petty rumours and jealousy get replaced with words of kindness and admiration for her, they wouldn't be able to portray her properly. She is smart, cunning, and above all supportive, just like every adviser should be. The only difference is that she is not a man, but if that doesn't concern me -the Prince- then it certainly shouldn't concern someone who had no chance to meet her."

Katherine's jaw almost drops on the ground by the time I am done with my speech. "It's because of her, isn't it? She is the reason you don't want to marry me."