27. Manners

LILLY

LILLY

The repetitive gallop of the hooves against the ground almost lulls me to sleep, my chin dropping only to snap back up again. I decide to keep myself occupied by singing a song, swaying from side to side gently. The space between the trees surrounding us keeps getting thicker as we slowly move towards the deeper part of the forest, the sun rays having troubles with peeking through the branches, a few crows snarling at us as I look up at them, sending them a small wave.

"Lilly, stop singing!" Zayn snaps at me in a hushed tone, making me shut my mouth.

"But why, both of you are so quiet and everything is so tense, singing helps-"

"Not only it irks me, but it also attracts unwanted attention."

"It could attract nice people that might want to befriend us."

"They wouldn't want to become friends, especially not with a little pest like you." He frowns, but I know Zayn well enough to be able to tell when he says something he doesn't mean.

"Wow, only a true friend would be that cruelly honest!" I smile widely.

"Don't listen to him Lilly, I am the oldest one here so you should listen to me, and I say you should keep singing. Remember I have access to the spirit world filled with intelligent people that are my spirit guides." Silas grins, earning a glare from Zayn as I smile softly at him.

"Intelligent people? Oh dear, where shall you go when you die then?" Zayn says, amusement evident in his voice.

"I'll make sure to visit you in the bitter spirits department," Silas retorts.

"I will be the one with "my brother is an idiot" sign," Zayn fires back. "Remind me again why are we in The Border?"

"Because my potion business is blooming and I have too many customers and too little supplies that I now need. Nobody asked you to come."

"You did," Zayn flatly says. "You literally begged us to accompany you. On your knees and all."

"I was on one knee..." Silas mumbles begrudgingly.

"Lilly, I'll throw you over my knees," Zayn warns me in a low tone, raising his palm for emphasis.

"I wasn't singing, I was humming," I defend and he narrows his eyes, my lips pulling in a smile. "Eres tan lindo cuando tu quieres matarme." (You are so cute when you want to kill me.")

He blinks a few times, clearing his throat as he looks away for a few seconds, blushing. He understood me. "Listen-"

He is interrupted when a rumble of male voices shouting surrounds us, my eyes taking in a handful of men with axes and swords in their hands coming out of the bushes and behind the trees, blocking our path and circling us. We immediately pull the reins and the horses halt. My palms instantly get clammy and the beat of my heart quickens, tension beginning to lurk in the air.