23. A deal is a deal

HARRY

"I'm busy! Too busy to even blink or breathe!" I exclaim when I hear knocks on my door, knowing it's another Katherine's maid sent here to tell me she's looking for me. Another moment with her and I'll throw myself off the palace walls.

"Don't be dramatic and open the door!" Comes Adrian's voice, making me stop pacing back and forth abruptly as I quickly unlock the door, opening it enough so I can peek outside.

"Are you alone?"

"Yes, and I have tea. Move." I open the door further and he slips inside, setting a tray with two cups of tea on the small table in the corner of the room. "Here." He offers me one cup.

"I'm always glad to spend time with you, but is there a particular reason you've brought me tea?" I ask, taking a sip of the hot liquid.

"Tea calms people and I have bad news- wow, your eyes look so green from this angle," Adrian quickly says, leaning his face towards mine, widening his also green eyes.

"Bad news?" I frown, setting the cup down. 

"Did I say bad news? I meant a wee bit uncomfortable news that are the opposite of good news," he says. "How much do you need your adviser?" 

My frown deepens and I take a step forward. "Why, did something happen to Amelia?"

"Damn it, I never liked being the bearer of bad news." He takes a sip of the tea. "Amelia is... she's kind of, in a way not here anymore because she is on her way back to Solis since your mother sent her away."

I widen my eyes, feeling a sudden burst of anger. "She did what? Amelia is my adviser, she can't- why would she do that?" No wonder the Princess has been chasing me around ever since the yesterday's ball, preventing me from seeing Amelia. It must have been my mother's doing, perhaps she has given her false hopes.

Adrian sighs calmly, placing the cup down. "Because you look at her like I look at freshly baked goods and that's saying something." He grips my shoulder. "I believe it bothers her because she thinks you should be wooing the spoiled bore of a princess, not pine over Amelia."

"She might be my mother and the queen, but she doesn't get to make that choice for me," I angrily say. "She had no right to send her away without consulting me!"

He grins, making me give him a look of annoyance. "What?"

"You really care for her. It's getting to that point where your affection is so adorable it's sickening to us happily unmarried." He pushes his hands into his pockets, rolling his eyes playfully.

"Of course I care, she's my best friend and adviser," I mumble.

"Best friend? Maybe. Adviser? Obviously. Future wife? Most certainly." Adrian winks, still grinning rakishly.

"Maybe," I quietly say, making him widen his eyes.

"Oh my God, I knew it! Ha!" He points a finger at me. "This is big news, wow. I can already imagine your children-"

"Slow down!" I clamp his mouth with my palm. "I said maybe, as in there is a small unlikely possibility of that ever happening. There are a lot of factors left to deal with. Do you think marrying a crown prince is easy? Besides, she..." I frown when I remember she's the daughter of the pirate my father wants dead.

"Oh pish posh!" He waves his hand. "If you don't want to make her queen, I will." He winks.

I glare at him. "I don't think so."

"Then hurry and put a crown on her head, who gives a damn what your mother or anyone else might think? Uncle would support you on this, you know that," Adrian presses.