22. Marriage hunt

AMELIA

The Queen has been staring at me intently for the past few hours we've been riding towards the Roseburne kingdom, not attempting to strike a conversation nor reply to my statements with more than a simple 'yes', 'no' or 'hmm'. I had the misfortune of having to share a carriage with her and her two ladies in waiting, both of which have been giving me strange looks.

King Henry and Prince Adrian are sharing a carriage with Prince Harry, probably having a blast together, and I find myself wishing I could be with them. It's comical in a way how I feel more comfortable in the company of men rather than women, at least I don't have to fear of being judged for the stupidest of things and always guess what are they thinking. Most men might be chauvinistic, but they always say what's on their mind, whether it be polite or improper. Ladies, on the other hand, shall smile at your face and shower you with compliments until you turn your back and they turn into snakes.

When I notice one of the ladies in waiting looking at me, I determinedly keep eye contact with her, obviously making her uncomfortable as her cheeks flush, eyes quickly looking away. I smirk to myself, shifting my gaze at the window aside, watching the peaceful scenery, golden and green fields sprawling for kilometres away.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" The Queen breaks the silence, my eyes snapping at her in surprise. She's sitting with impeccable posture, hands demurely clasped in her lap.

"Indeed, your Majesty," I simply reply, not sure if it would be proper to say anything else. I know very well she's not fond of me, I don't want her to have more reasons to detest me. I care for her son after all, and I wish to stay by his side as long as possible. And I believe his mother's approval, or at least, tolerance of me is very important.

"Have you ever been to Roseburne? Or at least outside of The Border and Solis?" Her blue eyes narrow slightly.

"Does Darkland count?" I smile weakly. "If not, then no. It is my first time travelling so far away from home, but I am always delighted to see new places." I, of course, leave out the part that I used to travel all over the world with my father and that I'd probably seen more places that she ever will.

"Another thing my son has made possible for you," she comments.

"I am afraid I don't understand."

"Besides your position as his adviser, an opportunity to be involved in making political decisions and getting generously paid for it all, travelling is another bonus."

"Yes, both his Highness and his Majesty have been very kind to me, and I'm eternally grateful for the opportunities provided to me."

"All those activities are not quite what ladies would occupy themselves with, especially if said ladies are close to the Prince. I believe they would have other motives."

"It is fortunate then, that all those activities fall to my lot instead of theirs." I smile politely.

A look of surprise flashes over Queen Annemarie's face, so brief if I had blinked, I would have missed it. She says nothing for the rest of the trip while I make myself as comfortable as I can in a small confine of the carriage, the corset making it impossible to take a deep calming breath to ease some of the tension that has built up inside me. I pray this journey comes to an end soon or I'll surely jump out of the window.

👑👑👑

The entire procedure of receiving royalty has been long and tiring, my only desire to go to the chambers prepared for me and take a bath. Unfortunately, as an adviser, I needed to stay close to the Prince until I was finally dismissed, allowed to go and prepare for the ball that shall take place in a few hours. I was lucky enough not to encounter the princess, only her parents have welcomed the Solis royals.