Chapter 32

There was definitely something different about Anti. Over the past week, he seemed more distant than usual and, on more than one occasion, you'd found him talking to himself. You still hadn't talked to him about anything yet, too scared to do so. His strange doppleganger hadn't showed up again either. Not yet, at least.

"Hey, (Y/N)?" A soft tap on your shoulder brought you out of your thoughts. Anti was looking at you nervously. You tried to smile at him but it felt hollow and forced. This entire situation had made you extremely paranoid.

"Listen, do you need to talk? Something seems wrong." His voice was gentle, soothing even. But it only served to make you more distrustful of him.
'He's trying to trick you! Don't believe him, be careful!' There was that feeling, that voice again. It wasn't your own, you were fairly sure of that. It had kept warning you through out the week. You couldn't really complain as it seemed to be trying to protect you though.

You gathered up your courage and took a deep breath.
"Uh, yeah actually. There's something I've been meaning to ask you." His reaction was immediate. Panic, comfusion, guilt, fear. They all appeared and dissapeared within the blink of an eye. Settling down on the sofa next to you, Anti took your hands in his own.
"What's wrong love?"
'Love? As if he can love anyone at all' The voice in your head scoffed. Ignoring it for now, you focused on Anti.

"This is probably a weird question but...did you kidnap anyone before me?" Anti froze. You felt his hands clench around your own and his eyes went wide. Panic started to build up in your chest. If he was innocent, then he wouldn't have reacted like that.

"W-why do you ask?" His eyes flitted over your face nervously.

"Just curious. It's not a big deal if you did." You managed to keep your voice level and calm but inside, you were anything but calm.

"Well, there may have been a few people."

"A few? What happened to them?"

He avoided looking at you, focusing instead on a point behind your head.
"They left. Either I let them go or they ended it themselves. Couldn't cope with being kept as a prisoner. That was long before I met you though. I was more savage back then, I kept them locked up instead of letting them roam the house." Anti wouldn't look at you. Sweat beaded on his forehead and his hands were still clenched around yours.

"Oh. Ok then." Gently, you removed your hands. You couldn't hide the shaking.
"Well, I have to go to work now. I'll see you later, ok." You leant down and kissed his cheek. He seemed more relaxed now, more confident.
'He thinks you believe him. Thinks that you still trust him. But you don't, do you? Not after what you just saw! He was blatently lying!'
You silently agreed with the voice echoing in your mind.

This was it. Your mind was made up. That night, you would call Anti's doppleganger and escape.