Chapter 36

An almighty crash took your attention away from the menu and Sam's opinion on banana milkshake. It sounded like it came from the direction of the bathrooms and, when you peeked over your shoulder to look, the air around the doors seemed to be wavering. Almost like a heat haze but darker, somehow. Your first thought was of Anti.

When you stood to go and check it out, Sam grabbed your arm. You hadn't even noticed that he'd gotten up but he was directly next to you. There was worry evident on his face as several other people and waiters turned to investigate.

"What was that?" His eyes were trained on the toilet door, brows furrowed. You shrugged, trying to pull away from his grip but to no avail.

Another crash sounded, quickly followed by a yowl of pain. Now you felt that familier panic rising in your chest. That was Anti. He was hurt. You had to get to him.

Wrenching your arm away from Sam, you ignored his protests and the looks of bewildered and worried people as you rushed to the door. As you got closer, the pressure seemed to increase, making your ears pop. Your breath caught in your throat as you stumbled, the air pushing down on you.

A hand pulled you back just as you were about the reach the door. Looking back to see Sam, with an angry scowl on his face, almost surprised you. He clicked his fingers and the fire alarms started blaring instantaneously. As people rushed to get out, his image flickered.

Sam started dragging you away, hand tightening around your bicep. The pressure increase, and now decrease, left you feeling dizzy and weak but that didn't stop you from struggling. It was all futile of course. There was no way you were escaping from him.

There was more yelling and crashing and screaming behind you, your ears suddenly ringing as the very air around you darkened. Sam started dragging you along faster, shooting glances over his shoulder at the door. It was practically hanging from it's hinges now and a black fog roiled behind it.

"Fuckin goddamnit" He grumbled, "Hurry the fuck up!" Practically throwing you in front of him, Sam pushed you the final few feet out of the door. As you looked over your shoulder, the lights flickered violently and then suddenly burst, sparks showering down alongside the small glass shards. From the ruined toilet door and ominous black fog, a figure stepped forward, only to be pulled back by a hand grabbing it's neck.

Your strength was returning, finally. You pushed back at Sam, swinging one fist at his face and catching him off guard. He stumbled back, a hand holding his nose and black blood dripping through his fingers. Time seemed to stand still for a moment as you looked at eachother, both seemingly in shock with your actions.

Then he laughed. It was shrill, changing between pitches as his form flickered and broke. You recognised that laugh. A chill ran up your spine, more panic building up, taking your breath away. Spider stood taller, cackling now, as Sam's visage slipped away, melting to reveal the face you knew all too well. He stopped suddenly, face blank.

"YoU shOULN't hAve DOne tHat!"

His punch sent you flying across the car park. Your head cracked against the tarmac, leaving you dizzy once again. Before you could try to get up, a foot was pressed against your sternum, pressing down harder and harder. You gripped Spider's leg, trying in vain to lift it as the pressure increased. He leered at you, taking evident joy in your panic and pain.

You did the only thing you could do in the situation.

You screamed