chapter six

"Damn it!" Gina cussed, storming into her office. She slammed her hands on work desk, she was about to shove everything off the desk when Vanda held her hands.

"Gina, it's okay_" she was cut off by a raging Gina.

"Do not tell me it is okay, it is not okay, I have worked so hard Vanda, so fucking hard!" She moved away from Vanda's hold. "People like you wouldn't understand." She sneered. "...do you know how hard it is to watch your hard laboured for empire begin to crumble?" It was more of an accusation, a statement more than a question.

"No, Gina. We have no fucking idea, we have no empires." Vanda answered calmly before she continued. "But we thrive in building them for the owners, even if it is for some self centred, cold bitch."

Gina stared unbelievably angrily at Vanda, everyone feared her and she loved it but why was Vanda so different?

"I'm your boss Vanda show some respect" She said dryly.

"Why? Have I just described you? You know we started a charity so we could_"

"I don't care about the stupid charity as long as my public image is doing great." Gina interrupted. "You are right, I'm a cold bitch and we are not shutting down anything." She gritted her teeth determinedly.

"Gina_"

"On your way out Miss McLaren, tell Cindy to get in here and I'm in a very bitchy mood." she turned her eyes to her computer and Vanda left.

"Ma'am"

"Cindy, I want the reports of what was presented in the board meeting, then cancel all my appointments." She ordered.

"Anything else ma'am?" Cindy confirmed.

"A very bitter black coffee, matches me doesn't it?"

"Ma'am_"

"Run along."

She spent the rest of her day finding ways to salvage her businesses.

**

Usually she would be buried in her computer or consumed in endless reams of paper but today she just laid back and even closed her eyes. If Daniel did not know the woman had no heart, he would swear she was hurt. He pulled over and opened the SUV's door. Gina stepped out brushing past the chauffeur who whispered inaudibly. "Have a good evening ma'am."

She entered the front door and beckoned to a maid that was crisscrossing the hallway. "Hey you, where is my mother?"

"She has been waiting in the study ma'am." After a curt, dismissive nod from Gina, she scurried away.

"Her name is Anna, Gina." Gwen informed descending the stairway. "Hey you, is rather rude don't you think?"

"I don't care about maids Gwen." Was Gina's nonchalant response.

"You don't care about anything or anyone Gina." She smiled widely. "I'm on my way to a party. I will have fun on behalf of the boring family, and don't worry about my twenty year old ass Vanda can babysit."
She remarked sarcastically.

"Gwen you have ongoing exams you should take those seriously." Gina advised.

"If I take this any more seriously than I already have, I'm afraid I will turn into you. See you around sis." She waved with cockiness, sauntering to the door.

Gina shook her head in disbelief before walking to the study and knocking softly.

"Come on in"

She pushed the double doors open and entered, closing them behind her. Mona was standing by the floor-to-ceiling window, her back to Gina. She was sipping from a delicate China. Her long hair flowing behind her back, towering over the black blouse matching her boots underneath her long, white skirts. She pivoted with a grace which Gina had only seen with her mother. Slowly placing the delicate China on the desk, she gestured for Gina to sit.

Gina obeyed and knowing her mother's impatience she went straight to the point. "M&M is having a financial crisis." She started. "Apparently we have been investing too well in the wrong places." Gina added.

"I know." Was Mona's calm reply. "Gina am still an active member of the board as well as a representative of Gwen's until she turns twenty one. Things like this cannot happen without my knowledge." She outlined with a sigh.

" I was_"

"I know, I know Gina, you have worked too hard to lose even a small part of it." Mona stated

"Well I was going to work with the initial plan and reinvest even with the risk involved." Gina explained to her mother.

"You are entrepreneur, risking is part of it but what you are about to do is foolish." Again Mona surprised her.

"But we_"

"We are not shutting down." Mona reassured.

"If we are not packing out of Asia and I'm not to foolishly reinvest, what are we doing?" She tilted her head, quirking a brow askance.

"We are selling my shares." Came Mona's announcement.

"What!" Gina shrieked. "Mother this is Marshall and Marshall a family heritage why are we bringing outsiders onboard!" She went on loudly.

She was now punishing the carpets with her pacing. "Calm down baby." Mona pacified watching her daughter cringe almost in pain. She knew Gina hated the endearment but her motherly instincts knew it nonetheless soothed her, when she slowly sunk back into her chair.

After a long silence Gina pleaded. "Give me a chance to make things right. I have captained this ship for two years and we both know that they were amongst the most fruitful years M&M has ever had."

"We don't have time Gina, two chains are already sinking, our competitors are on their toes." The mother declined.

"Then I will buy them. How much are we talking about?" Gina asked, her business tone back.

"Sixty plus billion. But I'm not selling to you I have a buyer already." Mona disappointed.

Gina shifted in her seat uncomfortably. Something was up, she knew it, her mother had been avoiding her gaze and that meant she was not being completely honest.

"Okay mother, come off it, what is going on?" She asked firmly.

Mona sighed with resignation. "Remember Sue? Sue Raymond."
Gina nodded in suspect. "Well she and the son are settling back here."

"What does that have to do with anything?" The daughter pried, her suspense intensifying.

"They are having problems with their business too, they opted to sell and with that, they plan on investing in M&M. The son will take over from me." Mona finished.

"I still get to be the head or is there a change too?" Was Gina's edgy question. She couldn't picture herself playing employee to a man. Matter of fact to anyone.

Mona drummed her fingers on the wooden desk. "It is going to change, with your shares equal with mine_"

"Mine are now equal to his." Gina completed and Mona nodded ruefully.

Gina clenched her fists, the bubbling fury threatening to explode. "Why wasn't I consulted first?" She went on to ask.

"Because you would have made this harder than it already is. And, because I couldn't refuse Sue, we go way back." She figured that was not enough so she added. "And it's about time I retired."

Their eyes met, this time Mona met Gina's eyes but Gina felt like she was blinking too much. She was still hiding a small detail but  let that slide, for the moment.

"Alright. When does he take over?" She confirmed.

"Monday." Mona answered too briefly in case her voice and gave her out. "He's smart and ambitious, you will make great_" there Gina raised an eyebrow. "_partners." Mona finished smiling.

Gina let out a sigh and stood up from her sit. "See you at dinner mother." with that she walked out leaving a madly grinning Mona.

So...yaaas. The next chapter Gina meets Eddie. Please tell what you think so far and thanks a lot for reading on.