chapter forty one

Her naked body stretched tiredly and she let out a quiet grunt. She rolled over without opening her eyes, desiring to touch him. Damn it, she was utterly, completely hooked. Her hand tapped his side of the bed in an attempt to hold her object of obsessive addiction. Empty.

She groaned and opened her eyes. Sure enough he wasn't there. Her groggy raspy morning voice called. "Eddie? Are you in the bathroom?"

There was no answer. A chill that had nothing to do with being naked in a cold morning ran down her spine. She curled her legs and tucked her knees under her chin. Her thoughts scattered and disoriented, only one thing was vivid. A depressingly unsettling realisation. He was gone. He had only gone last night to have breakup sex. He hadn't wanted to see her cry and beg him in the morning that he stay with them. It was over. Tears welled in her eyes. She wanted to sob for her loss. Her child's loss. Before she could let out a loud cry, the door pushed open.

Her eyes lit up and her heart leaped with exhilaration only for the eyes to drop in sadness and her heart to sink in disappointment when Rosanna entered the room. She expected someone else.

"Ah, there you are my sweet girl. I came to wake you. You will run late for work unless you don't intend to go." The older woman beamed. She stalked towards Gina and held a note to her. "That sweet boy left this for you." The teasing excitement was heavy in her tone.

Gina's tremulous hand took it. Her heart thundered violently that she thought a cardiac arrest would be inevitable. "W...what's in it, Rosanna?" For the first time in years she sounded meek and scared.

Rosanna giggled. "Only you can read it dear. He made that very clear."

Dread filled the pit of her stomach. He couldn't even wait to end things with her verbally. She and her unborn baby disgusted him that much? Why hadn't he waited for her to explain?

"So...?" Rosanna dragged out curiously. She playfully nudged the other woman and wiggled her brows at the folded note, a ridiculously naughty smile etched on her lips.

Heaving a deep sigh she unfolded the note. Still not prepared for the heartbreaking content in the note. It was too small. He clearly had nothing much to tell her. Her eyes slowly diverted from the joyously awaiting nanny to the words on the note.

I had to leave you way before you woke up. So much work on my desk. But enough space for our morning 'appetites'. See you at the office beautiful.

Love,

Eddie! Harder! Faster you prick!

That's not my name kitten. *wink.*

Relief swept through her tensed body like an angry wave. But still a welcomed wave. What was she thinking judging him like that? He couldn't and wouldn't leave her. They were each other's life. How dare she doubt that? Her eyes roamed the note again and embarrassment flushed all over her. Harder! Faster you prick!
She had called him a...

Suddenly she felt too shy to see him again. A giggle filled the room and she realised Rosanna had been peeking as she read. A disapproving scowl masked her face as she faced the ecstatic woman. She pouted in return and both women burst out laughing.

"You can't peek on people's private notes, Rosanna." She scolded but the humour and affection laced in her voice was evident.

"Oh I was only curious and you looked like you were expecting something dreadful. Besides, both of you made so much noise last night and..."

"Rosanna!" She scolded more sternly but the woman didn't stop.

"We barely caught any sleep and the girls had wet dreams about..."