chapter fifty two

The surroundings whizzed past them as the Maybach Mercedes sped down the road. The buildings and the trees were a blur, appearing and disappearing equally fast through the silent ride. They were headed home from the court where they'd attended Regina's final hearing.

Life was unfair, Gina knew that now. After three long months of court hearings and proceedings, Regina still got locked away. Gina had ensured only the best lawyers were on her sister's defense team. They'd provided what Gina thought was enough evidence, concrete evidence. From medical records to witnesses but still the damned judge had convicted her sister for attempted murder and accessory. Regina was sentenced to twenty years in prison which Gina thought was utterly unfair.

After postponing her wedding, Gina was hopeful that she'd eventually get married in the presence of all her friends and family. Her twin sister included. But of course fate had other plans in-store for her, once again she found herself cursing Sue. It was her fault. If she hadn't been such a jealous bitch; if she hadn't abducted her infant sister; if she hadn't murdered Mona, things wouldn't have turned out the way they did. She clenched her fists angrily before feeling a warm pacifying hand atop hers. She snapped her head to the opposite direction.

"We can always appeal." He said smiling reassuringly.

"Of course we will." She returned grimly. Realizing she was being grumpy, she added. "Thank you for being there for me, for us."

He nodded. "Always my love, always." He leaned over to kiss her cheek, his other hand flattened softly on her protruding belly. He thanked God they'd brought a chauffeur because he needed to hold her close. He could tell she was edgy over the judge's verdict.

"That was unfair." She whispered softly.

He nodded to appease her. Kissing her palm, he brought her head to lean on his shoulder. "If we appeal we could get a lighter sentence perhaps, and maybe she could even get parole sooner."

She sniffed muttering something about a damn flu and entwined her fingers with his. "Eddie?"

"Yes, babe."

"I'm six months along."

"I know that babe." Eddie acknowledged.

She hummed. "Can't we just wait until she comes, I mean I'll be a fat bride and all."

He chuckled. "If that's what you want it's fine by me. But you know I don't care about the additional weight. I love you the way you are."

She stifled a sob by kissing his cheekbone. "I love you too." She said sniffing.

"Are you crying baby?" He lowered his eyes so he could see her face.

She shook her head. "No, it's this damn flu. Can we cuddle please?"

He didn't talk, he removed his jacket and draped it over her before bringing his long muscular arms around her.

***

"Ugh! Stop it!" She swatted his hands away. "If you squeeze my butt again, I'll_"

"You'll give it to me." He wiggled his brows suggestively, giving her a goofy grin.

She rolled her eyes. "People are watching you idiot."

He pouted before nuzzling her flat stomach. "Did you hear that son? You're mom called me, your daddy with an IQ of a hundred and thirty eight, three PhDs and_"

"Co-owns the biggest real estate company in the States." She deadpanned, making those within earshot laugh.

A phone rang just as Nick tried to think up a witty response. "Who's that?"