chapter thirty six

Whispers and murmurs filled the ground floor of M&A building immediately she stepped foot inside. The different faces expressed different emotions. Shock, pity and admiration were just but a few. Of course people would react variably to the return to the big boss. She'd just lost her mother a week ago, buried her over the weekend and come Monday she'd returned to work all sassy and confident. In her usual iron lady regalia which entailed a stoic face, a perfectly adorned business suit and ridiculously high heels.

People were torn between offering their condolences, welcoming her back and scurrying away- the employees dispersed to either side of her away like the red sea in exodus. She only sent a stiff nod their way and continued to the elevator.

Gina felt selfish for not mourning her mother completely but she was never one to wallow is self pity and that's not want her business needed. It needed her to take charge and run matters like the captain she was. She'd already called for a board meeting that she'd have Gwen take charge of her shares. It didn't matter that she hadn't attained the age or wasn't ready yet. Death hadn't cared that they weren't ready to lose Mona yet.

Stepping out of the elevator doors, Cindy was already approaching her but she didn't pause to listen to her highlight her schedule. She continued to her office with the other woman on her heels attempting long strides that proved a tedious task in the tight grey pencil skirt. She pushed the door open and walked in. Something caught her eyes.
"And who authorised changing the other couch Cindy?" She demanded training an askance glare.

"Miss McLaren." Cindy responded.

Gina's imminent retort was interrupted by an intruder. "Good morning G."

"Vanda." She acknowledged. "Alright Cindy. Excuse us for a minute. I'll be right there to address the board."

The PA slipped out leaving the two women glaring at each other.

"About the couch, we_"

"I know. It's alright." She interrupted flatly.

Vanda nodded. "Are you alright?"

"Perfect. I have a meeting to address, if that'd be all I'd like to be excused_"

"Cut it out. Cut this crap out Gina." Vanda interrupted. "What do you think your doing? Huh? All these nonsense has to stop!" She exclaimed.

The other woman furrowed her brows with something akin to confusion before tilting her head to the side askance. "I'm trying to run a billion dollar company that my mother worked so hard to build and that's nonsense? Please explain?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. What you are doing to yourself is wrong. To all of us Gina." She said calmly. "But..." She swallowed and slumped her shoulders with despondency. "You can have it your way." She blinked briskly sucking the threatening tears back. "But you can do with warning us next time you want to stomp all over our feelings like the strong unbreakable Gina you are."

"Vanda_"

"The board is waiting ma'am." She interrupted coldly before walking out.

***

Gwen Marshall didn't need her sister's bossing her around at the time. What she needed was to mourn in peace. Not shares! Not work! She didn't want anything at all. Nothing but cuddling up in her mother's favourite duvet and spending time with Calvin whenever he could afford to. He was sensitive enough compared to her glacial sister.

She stormed to the door and shoved it open. She strutted in furiously in time to find Gina about to settle behind her work desk. "Who do you think you are?"