chapter thirty three

The smell of disinfectants hovered the air, the heart monitor beeped in a rhythmic pattern assuring the Marshall women that the patient bedridden in deep involuntary slumber was breathing. Their mother was still alive and recuperating and they couldn't be more grateful.

With a week over and Mona still in coma, the hopeful Marshall sisters hadn't left their mother's side. If they weren't both with her, one of them was. Gina had been strict about the visitors and hospital personnel handling her mother. She couldn't help but hope her premonition was just paranoia like Gwen kept reassuring her. She really hoped so, but she wasn't taking chances.

Her phone rung and Eddie's name flashed on the screen. "I'll pick this Gwen, don't you leave mom's side alright?" She confirmed standing up.

"Yes G." Gwen mumbled nodding frantically. She watched as her sister slipped out of the door. Gina was always the protective big sister. She reminisced with a smile when Gina had found a fellow senior in high school bullying her. Gina and Vanda had beaten him up to a pulp and the fact that she was a quiet introvert made it all laughably unbelievable. Still, the message had been clear, nobody messed with her loved ones. That had been displayed over and over even after Murray had snuck into their lives and hurt her older sister. The barbarian hadn't stopped at that. No, he had to gun down their mother and God help him if their mother didn't survive this...

"No, no Gwen mom's a strong woman and she'll be just fine." She mumbled the reassurance to herself. A stray tear streaked down her face and she wiped it briskly.

"You've got to wake up mom." She whispered sniffing.

"Miss Marshall?"

She bit her lip to trap a sob. A warm hand pressed her spaghetti clad shoulder. "Are you okay?" Came a concerned question.

Gwen nodded. "Please call me Gwen, Dr Graham." She attempted a weak half hearted smile.

"Then you must call me Calvin." The doctor bargained flashing a dazzling smile that unceremoniously knocked the wind right out of Gwen's lungs.

She nodded briskly. "Are you here to check on mom's vitals Dr_ Calvin?" She asked tucking a hair strand behind her ear.

"That's right Gwen." Calvin answered meeting her gaze. Their eyes locked for a fraction too long than necessary. Gwen couldn't really tell why but her name sounded like the most beautiful instrumental piece coming from the alluring doctor's mouth. In a trance, she watched as the doctor stalked closer. His lips were moving, talking? But she couldn't hear the words too hazed by his hypnotic voice.

"Gwen, will you let the doctor check on mom?" Gina's amused voice reiterated askance.

"What? Um, yeah. Please." She gave way blabbering, totally embarrassed. She sighted an absolutely amused Gina from the corner of her eyes and made a mental note to avoid her at all cost.

"Mrs Marshall is fine, slight improvement but it's better than none." Calvin said scribbling furiously at the clipboard. "You ladies need to rest, I understand that with all this happenings and the perpetrator still at large it's difficult- but the last thing we need is to hospitalize any of you too." He urged.

"Thanks doctor, could you please show my sister_" her gaze met her sister's menacing one briefly before diverting to the doctor. "_the cafeteria. She has been here all morning and_"

"Gina..." Gwen's threatening tone was heard through gritted teeth.

"She wouldn't eat. Not that she has for the past week." She went on ignoring her sister's murderous glare.

"Gwen_"

Gwen cut him off. "Don't listen to her, being older and with mom's issue she's gotten a tad_"