chapter thirty nine

Being underestimated and looked down upon wasn't new territory to Regina Bernstein. She'd seen far worse than a spiteful man glaring down at her with abhorrence. Yells and thunderous warnings were too gentle for her. Especially coming from a gentleman who wouldn't hurt a fly to save his life. She'd been stripped naked and trampled all over by multiple men. They would toy with her like a barbie doll, use and abuse her before they finally decided she wasn't worth the while and rebuff her. One would spit on her like a cheap, wretched whore before footing her to the ribs and chuckle in amusement at her cries and wails of pain. Another would grab her hair and shove her to the available flat surface and have his way with her before discarding her body to the nearest trashcan with repugnance.

Only one man had treated her differently. A handsomely sculpted male whose outstanding demeanour turned her life around. From grass to glory. Rags to riches. Eddie Raymond. They had been so happy regardless of the circumstances they had been acquainted.

A devil incarnate had just been ravaging her from behind as payment for a meagre distasteful plate of nourishment. She had no optional means and even if she did, the man would never surpass an opportunity to ram his dirty, stinky self into her. Her tears and pleas were in vain, so she'd seized those ages ago. Then a handsome prince, her knight in shining armour had surfaced in her lonely, void world of abuse. He'd tackled the fat fool to the ground effortlessly and beat him to a pulp. Later she learned he had been in those parts of town with his friends for charity courses. He'd taken her without judgement and transformed her magically. Expensive clothes, exquisitely fine cuisines, lavish palatial houses and sleek cars. Everything had been at her disposal.

Then he had outdone himself and proposed to her. He'd married her despite the various voices that disputed with him not to. She finally was not alone in the cold ruthless world. She had him. But her life was doomed to serve misery and pain as her prime masters. Thus she had obeyed hastily upon their orders. Her mistress taught her strength, battle, callousness and dang repercussions. She'd emerged triumphant but being the pawn for the claws of her tyrant fate, she'd lost the most paramount person in her life. Her very essence of living. Her husband; Eddie Raymond.

That had meant drastic measures and growing wiser. She would get him back, so she assured herself. Until then she would dance to the wicked tune of her mistress and once a chance provided itself, she would silence her and her music; permanently then be her own mistress.

Everything had worked according to plan but then a little hindrance sprouted when she came back for him; her. Gina Marshall was the obstacle between Regina and her husband. And Regina and a flair for eliminating obstacles. She only had to be patient and opportunity would knock at her door again, and she would strike. Albeit her mistress would pay dearly, Regina was grateful to the witch for moulding her into a tactician.

Eddie Raymond was hers and she was going to have him. Even if she unfortunately resorted to running over whatever or whoever stood in her way.

***

Nick Hartman's eyes were too indulged in following the fast, maddening pacing occurring in his office. He was already dizzy and if the man didn't stop soon, he would faint. This was not some of his dramatic moments where his theatricals served as entertainment to his friends and family rather a serious moment where he had to steadily brace himself. His eyelids fluttered shut and he squeezed the muscles so hard to diminish the faintly feeling. A shake of the head to catalyse the requisite effects followed the latter motion.

He walked to the office bar at the far corner and poured two glasses of scotch, very much needed to calm the finicky man. He internally swore to bind the man with ropes if the drink failed in its course. He cleared his throat. The other man turned to look at him without halting the infuriating pacing.