epilogue

5 years later

With an alloy of emotions, she walked head held high like she'd done since they deemed her 'dangerous to decent citizens'. Not that she wasn't but goddamn it that judge had no idea of what it meant to sleep hungry, thirsty or without shelter. She didn't know what it felt like to be used by opportunists just so she'd get to lick their scraps for survival.

There were two wardens on either side of her as they walked through the dark corridors that didn't know what the sun was. Inmates bellowed and screamed through their barred cells, chanting her name and probably wistful for positions to be switched. They arrived at the front desk of the prison where they took their sweet time to produce her few belongings and take a signature from her.

Of course they enjoyed locking me up like an animal.

After the procedures, she was led to the gate of life. Of freedom. While her sister and sister's husband did everything possible to ensure she served her time safely and comfortably, nothing could compare to governing one's life.

"Stay out of trouble Bernstein." A warden said once they were standing outside the gate. "I don't ever what to see you again."

"Her name's Marshall!" A woman who'd been leaning on a Rolls Royce in front of the convoy of sleek cars yelled. She made her way to them and said to the warden. "About seeing her again I can't really promise. Marshalls are the media's favourite."

"Gina."

"Well come back twin." They embraced tightly. "I've missed you."

Regina snorted. "You visited more than the damn wardens did for roll call."

Gina chuckled. "Well, where do you want to ride?"

Regina followed the direction of her gesturing hands. There were six Rolls Royces aligned at the curb. "What the hell Gina."

"We opted for the jet but there wasn't enough landing space or even a damn lane, Eddie doesn't take chances security wise." Gina said grinning at her. "So..."

"I could walk for all I care but now that you're here, we could catch up huh?" Regina said suppressing a grin.

Gina laughed. "Come on."

Once they were sat on the back seat of the car, Regina asked. "How's this possible? Wasn't I supposed to serve the ten years I got after appealing?"

"Yes."

"Then..."

Gina smiled at her. "Eddie discussed some business with the president over a golf game. The man was impressed."

The other woman snorted. "Eddie is horrible at golfing."

Gina laughed. "Yes, that should tell you I meant he was impressed with the business."

"Oh."

"Yes. Mr president wanted to reward 'such a talented, brilliant and promising young man'. Well Eddie asked if it was possible to get his wife's sister parole."

"Uh, huh..."

"The man listened to your story and actually sympathized. Can you believe that?"

Regina laughed for the first time since her release. "I'm here so yes." She shrugged. "I'm just hoping we'll be able to live it down."

"There's another problem." They burst out laughing.

***

"We'll never get to that party at this rate." Gina commented worrying her lip.