chapter twenty seven

She was late. Gina could tell by the fleet of cars parked outside the huge front of the hotel where the charity dinner was being held. It was one of the many properties her company owned. As Daniel pulled over at the entrance in front of a sleek red Bugatti, she couldn't help but feel pathetic for being six minutes, twenty seconds late. Daniel opened the door of the backseat of the Rolls Royce and extended his white gloved hand to aid her out. Lifting her floor-length dress, she stepped one foot out, her silver-grey, studded, Gucci stiletto clicking against the floor. Ever so graciously her other foot contacted the floor, making sure she wasn't wobbly, she poked her head out ensuring her curls stayed in place. With one hand firmly gripping on her chauffeur's and the other on her small silver-grey make up clutch, she stood up. Sensing the prying eyes of paparazzi and their cameras, she plastered a dazzling smile on her face her blood-red lipstick, highlighting her white teeth. As the valet took over her locomotive, Daniel led her up the red carpeted stairs, her smile unwavering like a princess straight out of a castle in Disneyland.

Glamour would not do justice to what graced her orbs once inside. Mumbling a thanks to Daniel, she glanced around for a familiar face. So many were. All sitting on the tables of ten draped in white cloths and glittering cutlery. Engaging in small talk, smiling or drinking elegantly from their champagne glasses. Elite men and women, business gurus and she even spotted a few government heads. She hadn't finished mentally identifying the entertainment celebrities when someone ran a soft hand over her naked upper arm. "I'm taking you home tonight beautiful." There was only one person who called her that in that husky lascivious voice.

"Eddie." She muttered totally flustered by the work of heavenly art displaying itself before her. "Aren't you always taking me home handsome?"

It wasn't a question but the man in a black tuxedo matched with a grey bowtie and handkerchief poking from his breast pocket answered anyway. "Yes, but tonight it's different, you are my girlfriend.
Mine."

"You have yet to encounter civilization, have you caveman?" Asked the vixen in a grey silk dress with all it's back bare and front neckline hanging perilously low. The flawless skin of her back and upper arms exposed for the world to see only to disappear beneath the furry long coat draped over her arms down to the bulging hip curve and full backside.

"One glance your way from this scoundrels in suits and I will show them I have not." His signature smirk did nothing to cover the seriousness of his words. Offering his arm, he said, "now let's take you to apologize for your lateness and that scandalous outfit, I don't mind it though." He whispered the last part.

"Children!" It was Mona smiling so brightly that Gina could have sworn it was exaggerated or a first.

"Mother, Sue I'm so sorry for being late I just_"

"Nonsense." Sue cut her off, "I had Larry Page do the ribbon cutting, he's a friend." The woman grinned.

"Google's Larry is your friend?" Gwen pried in disbelief.

"Researchers are big users of the internet, it's only fair that they become acquaintances with the owners." She winked at the younger woman.

Gina and Eddie had taken their seats already next to each other on the same table. Noting that Vanda was not around, she asked, "where's Vanda?"

"I don't want to think about it, she and that hot black stallion of hers_"

"Right here bff." A voice behind her cut Gwen off. "Went to the ladies, you look..."

"Delectable." Another voice broke in. A death glare from Eddie made Nick purse his lips in a thin line. "I apologize buddy." He chuckled.

"So why were you late? You almost sabotaged tonight." Vanda asked the woman on her right.