Chapter 1- Magnus Bane

"Magnus can I talk to you?" My mother asks, standing in the doorway for my room.

"Yeah sure... Make it quick though." I didn't really have anything else to do, I'll just be laying here on my bed as I always am, staring up at the ceilings. I knew this roof like the back of my hand. No, I knew it better. The amount of nights I spend staring at it, thinking about everything yet nothing, wondering where I went wrong, they result in me memorizing the cracks, spider webs, stains that won't ever have explanations for how they got there. I spend more time with this ceiling than I do any family members, I feel more love from it.

"I-it's about your father..." As if I'd care, my father has never been around... I've heard stories about him, how he used to be a decent man, how he used to love us, or at least acted like he did. I wouldn't know. The man left a month after my first birthday. The only thing I have to connect myself to him is a picture. We're both sleeping on the couch, looking peaceful, I'm laying right next to him, a pink blanket draped over both of us. They looked like happy times, a life I wish I could have, almost had. A dream of a father, one who loves me, the man he looked like in this picture.

"What father?" I ask her coldly, I have no father, sure I'm related to him. I guess he's my father in a way. But I don't wanna hear about him... Sometimes I pretend he's at the store, buying me toys, snacks he'll sneak up to me, we'll eat them together, hiding from mom and watching movies. He'll be home soon... But then reality hits me, he doesn't care about me any more about me than the old man asking for money on the side of the street... Plus, I don't want him to come home, I don't need him, I have my mother. She's all I need.

"Magnus he's fighting for custody... He wants to see you, I don't know if he'll take you from me, or if he just wants visitation rights... But either way he's fighting, and he's fighting hard. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do this time Mags, he's winning." The ceiling doesn't seem so interesting anymore, looking at my mom I now see the redness on her face, the tears still dotting her cheeks. She must've been crying for hours.

"Can he really do that?" I ask.

"I'm afraid so... He's legally still your father, and the court doesn't have reason to deny him visitation at the least."

"HE CAN'T DO THIS!" I stand up from my bed, ignoring the pain in my mind and the darkness in my vision when I stand up too quick after not moving all day. I pace quickly around the room, my breathing quickening, I can't believe what I just heard. "DOES HE HONESTLY BELIEVE HE CAN LEAVE FOR 11 YEARS, NEVER BOTHERING TO CONTACT ME, THEN JUST SHOW UP UNANNOUNCED, SUDDENLY WANTING TO BE A PART OF MY LIFE?!?! WHAT'S HIS MOTIVE? THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMETHING IN IT FOR HIM. EVERY BIRTHDAY, CHRISTMAS, FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL, IMPORTANT EVENT, NOT ONE CALL FROM HIM, HE JUST DISSAPEARED OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH FOR SO LONG AND NOW HE'S BACK. AND I JUST- I just..." I broke down, sinking to the floor, burrying my head in my hands and pulling my knees up to my chest. Letting out the tears that have been building up since my rage started.

"Magnus, baby, calm down... It will be okay, we will be okay. He may get visitation rights but I will fight for you okay? I won't let him take you. He made his choice, he turned his back on his family and chose what he loved even more..." She's sitting next to me now, her arm around my shoulders and her thumb gently caressing my arm. I'm glad I have my mother, without her I would have died many years ago, without her I never would have found the strength to put away the rope. She gave me somebody to stay strong for. She gave me love. More than I could have ever imagined, I don't show her how grateful I am very often, but my mother is my anchor to this earth, the only person to show me the love every human needs... I need to stay strong, for her, I can tell she's beating herself up over this, she thinks it's her fault. The only person to blame here is that waste of human flesh, that excuse of a man.

"It's okay mom..." I say, looking up. "It'll most likely only be every second weekend or something, or maybe we'll get lucky and he'll remember who he is and run again. He seems to be best at running from his problems instead of facing them." I really don't know how I'm going to do this, how I'll live having to see his disgusting face. But I have to. I need to be strong. I need to face the man who betrayed me.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

My father chose his drugs and alcohol over me and my mother. He ran out and left us behind, his choice was clear, he never did love us and he never truly will. I'm 12 years old now, the times he spent with me are unknown, a time long before my earliest memory. From the one picture I have I can kind of guess what he looks like, but that picture was taken nearly a life time ago, he's a different man now.

Me and my mother have been just fine on our own, running into a few problems along the way, she's had a few boyfriends but they never last longer than a couple years, the longest being 5. But we don't need anybody else, we've had nobody but each other my whole life, and it will always be that way, not that I'm complaining.

Not many people want to be my friend, I'm the freak with the dead beat dad, so the closest thing to a friendship is with my mother, and no matter how close we are and how much I love her, I have to admit it's sad, even for me.

The bullying has always been around, i can't remember a time where I wasn't bullied, and I can't imagine a time where I'm not. People tell me I'm just looking for attention, that 3/4 of the worlds population has 'daddy issues', it's true, it' a common thing in our sad world, but trust me... My life is far from common, and these aren't your normal 'daddy issues', it goes much deeper than that...

I'm Magnus Bane, and this is my story.

A/N

*IMPORTANT*
This is a last warning... This story gets serious... You can see already... This story gets very real and sad, being somebody who has gone through a similar situation as this story I can tell you it's not easy. Yes this story is for the purpose of entertainment but it's very real.

*NOT AS IMPORTANT*

Sorry this first chapter is really short, it's only about 1150 words, which I geuss isn't THAT bad... It just looks short since there's a lot of big paragraphs. And not a lot happened in this chapter, like barely anything at all... So I'm sorry fir that too... But I wanted to get a chapter out quick so I can finish my homework... How'd you guys like the first chapter? Will his dad gain partial custody? Visitation rights? If so supervised or not? Or will he gaim full custody and take Magnus away from his mother, the one person who truly loves him, forever? Maybe his father will run... Change his mind and leave them alone forever, but that wouldn't make a very giod story... Now would it? 😉😉

I promise other chapters will be longer and more eventful than this one... I just wanted it to be kind if like an introduction into the real story... An quick explanation of his past and what happened... Yes, there will be a lot more explanation... I leave a lot unexplained for now to confuse everyone... Make people wonder... Plus Magnus does shield himself from a lot of the facts... Pretends they don't exist... That they never happened...

I'll probably have another chapter out tomorrow after school... A little longer this time...

Love you guys
-Mads💜