Chapter 21- Flashbacks

"Come on Mags!" Jasmine grabs my arm and drags me towards the truck.

"Where are we going?" I laugh playfully, running with her, trying not to fall while she pulls me.

"We're going mud bogging." She stops running, turns towards me and smiles. "Now come on! They're gonna leave without us."

We get into the truck and I can't help but wonder, what the hell is mud bogging.

My dad is sitting in the driver's seat, Kathy beside him in the passenger's.

Jasmine gets into the truck and sits on the far end by the window, Theo climbs in and sits in the middle, and I get in sitting behind my father, pulling Faith onto my lap.

None of us have seat belts, but that's normal. This truck never has had them.

We drive for about an hour until we pull into a little path in the forest, if you can even call it a path. It's just flattened forest from vehicles driving over it for probably years.

Down the path a little there's a huge muddy area.

"Are you ready?" My dad laughs.

Are we gonna drive through this?

"WOOH!" Jasmine screams.

We take off down the muddy path. Driving as fast as this truck can probably go.

As we near the end of the muddy area, the truck stops moving. I can hear the wheels spin as mud hits the windows, but we don't move.

"Dammit. We were so close." Kathy sounds disappointed.

Everyone gets out to push the truck.

I'll admit, driving like that with the risk of getting stuck was fun. But this was so much more fun.

Everyone is sinking into a knee deep area of mud, there's tire tracks everywhere from people that have tried to get across.

And, of course, everyone is covered head to toe in mud.

Jasmine giggles and throws a handful of mud at me, so I run and tackle her.

Theo's playing around in the mud on his own, Faith sits in the box of the truck, still too young to be able to run around.

My father and Kathy are pushing the truck, both laughing and occasionally throwing mud at each other.

Overall it's just a good time.

I run away from Jas, well more waddling through the mud away from Jas.

"IM GONNA GET YOU MAGNUS!" Jasmine waddles after me, jumping into my back and smearing mud into my face.

She laughs and jumps off, running away. All around me all you can hear are laughs and screams. Looking at us, you wouldn't ever think that there could be anything wrong. We seem like a perfect, happy family.

The flashback slowly fades away, and I'm left once again with darkness.

"You have to leave." A voice says, it isn't one I'm able to connect to anybody I've met.

"Can I stay again please?" This time it's Alec, he sounds tired, his voice cracking with every word. He sounds as though he's been crying.

"It's been a week and you haven't gone home once. You're lucky I let you stay past visiting hours all this time. But please, you need to eat more than just the food from the cafeteria. You need to sleep in a bed instead of that chair." The unknown woman says.

"I'm fine. I need to be here when he wakes up." He says pleadingly.

"At the rate he's going he won't wake up for at least a couple more months. If there's any changes I will call your mother. But you need to go home now."

I'm not sure how long I've been out, there doesn't seem to be a sense of time for me.

"Alec. Come on." That voice was Maryse.

Over the time I've been out, I've heard many voices in this hospital room, I've gotten pretty good at being able to tell who's who.

I hear two pairs of footsteps, so I think it's safe to assume that Alec and Maryse both left.

"That boy won't leave your side. He only goes home once a week when we force him. Your mother says he's your best friend, but I've been watching him. That boy has truly fallen for you." The woman I'm assuming is my nurse says.

"I know you can hear me. Now that there's nobody else here I can tell you what's going on, I know I'd want to know if I were in this situation."

Oh thank god. I was about to go crazy.

"We really aren't sure if you're going to wake up. It's been almost a year that you've been out, usually people wake up by now. Your mother has been given the choice of whether or not to pull the plug, but she really isn't in the right state of mind to make the choice." Her voice sounds sad.

A year. I've been under for almost a year. I wonder how much I've missed during that year, birthdays, events, Christmas even. Me and Alec would be in highschool right now, does he even go to school? If I wake up I'll be in the same grade as Jasmine and he'll be a year ahead, unless he isn't going.

I have so many questions. But no chance of getting answers.

"It would be a miracle if you woke up. But I just don't have the heart to tell Alexander that you might not wake up, I keep telling him that it'll be a few more months. It breaks my heart watching him sit beside you every day, begging you to come back. That sister of yours practically lives here too, I heard she's been staying with your mother, but your father hasn't come once. The Lightwoods all seem to really like you. Isabelle is here with Alec all the time. If you don't come back there will be a lot of hurt people. But I've heard you're strong, you've been through a lot and you keep your head held high, I believe in you Magnus."

"Christine! We need to in the ICU immediately." An unknown voice yells, a man this time.

"I'll be back later."

That was when her voice finally seemed familiar to me, it sort of clicked when the man said her name.

Chrissy works the night shift, so she's always here to talk to me.

Another flashback starts to come to me.

"Alec you have to go."

"Chrissy, we do this every time, you know I'm not going to leave him."

"He's been in a coma for 2 months and you've only gone home 5 times. He would want you to keep living your life, go home, and go back to school." Christine begs.

"School ends in a couple weeks anyways. I've been doing assignments here, you know that."

"But you need to socialize. Not even his mother is here this often."

"I have to be here when he wakes up. If I'm not the first one he sees when he opens his eyes I'll never forgive myself. If I'm not here will he think I left him? Will he think I don't care? I will socialize when Magnus wakes up. This isn't about me, it's about him right now."

"He knows you're here. He can hear you, he can sense you. When he wakes up he won't feel like you've left him, I promise you. He knows that you care. He knows you barely leave this place."

"And when he opens his eyes, he will also know that I'm there."

"Don't make me call security on you." Chrissy threatens.

"You won't."

"Oh really? Don't sound too confident about that answer."

"You won't. I know that because if you were going to, you would have called them already at some point in these past 2 months."

"Just please go home."

"I won't."

"You've got a stubborn one here Magnus." Chrissy says to me.

I know I think to myself.