Chapter 29- Is This The End?

Learning sign language has been going pretty good, this week we spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday learning basic greetings and important questions like 'do you sign?', 'sign slower please.', 'are you deaf?' , and 'can you write that down please.'. We also learned basics like 'yes' and 'no'.

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday we learned more questions and answers, like 'who' , 'what' , 'where' , 'when' , 'why' , and 'how' . Then the answers to them, 'them' , 'her/him' , 'that' , 'this" , 'here' , 'there' , 'right now' and lots more.

And yesterday, Sunday, we spent the day reviewinf everything we learned.

We plan on doing this every week, spend the first 3 days learning a category of things. The next 3 days learning another category. And every Sunday is reserved for reviewing everything we learned to date.

Me and Catarina are having lots of fun with it. To test each other she says the word and I sign it, and I sign things and she has to tell me what it means, it all works perfectly.

My mom started picking up some basic ASL for now with Chrissy, who shows up to visit a couple times a week, though they both plan on learning full ASL together.

My mom and Catarina always talk about how much progress I've been making since she got here, but they always talk like I'm not right there. I hate it. And I don't want to yell at them and tell them that I'm right beside them and ask them to stop talking about me like I'm not, so I just stay silent, listening to how I've 'improved".

I mean yeah, I come out of my room every morning instead of sitting on my bed until somebody drags me out. But I still feel completely empty, my "improvement" is mostly an act.

The phone rings, interrupting my thoughts.

Who's calling me? Everybody knows to text me so i dont have to talk.

I put it on speaker so that Catarina can talk for me.

"Hello?" She says.

"Hi... Who's this?" I immediately recognize the voice and freeze.

"I'm Magnus's caretaker."

"Caretaker? I thought Christine or Charlie would've just stayed home with him. How's he doing?" The voice says.

"Fine." She says quickly, she didn't know who the person was so I guess she didn't know if they were allowed to know about my situation.

"Can I talk to him? It's important."

"He can hear you, but Magnus doesn't talk to anybody." She laughs a little at her own joke, and I can't help but smile and shake my head.

"What do you mean he doesn't talk to anybody? Is he okay?" The voice sounds panicked.

She gives me a questioning look, wanting to know if this person can know about my situation or not, and I nod.

"Something happened to him that I'm not too sure of, he hasn't used his voice since. We're learning sign language so that he doesn't have to use his voice because he feel uncomfortable speaking."

"Really? Magnus? Uncomfortable using his voice." The person laughs.

"That's what his mother said." Catarina laughs with them.

"If he can hear me than he should know who I am. If I'm right about the reason he won't talk, than he'll talk to me." They say.

Catarina gives me another questioning look and I nod again.

She hands me the phone and I go to living room to talk in private, I'm not sure if Catarina will listen in or not, but at least this way she won't be standing right in front of me while I'm talking, and maybe I'll be able to use my voice comfortably.

"Magnus?" They ask, it's been about a minute since there's been any sign of somebody on our side of the line, she they probably think we left.

"Alexander." I try my voice, it's a bit scratchy and it feels weird to talk, but it's there. "I didn't think I'd ever talk to you again." Tears start to fall from my eyes.

"Me neither. Magnus I'm so sorry, I don't think I can ever come back, my father started to hit us when we mention going home." I can hear that he's crying. "He's at work right now, it's a big risk calling you. But I had to tell you. I miss you so much." He sobs. "I don't think I can do it Mags."

I feel the need to hold him, tell him that it will all be okay. But it won't.

"Alec. We can fix this. Your dad will lighten up. Don't give up. I refuse to believe that this is the last time I will ever talk to you."

Both of us are crying. I can hear his sobs and I know that he can hear mine.

"I can't... I can't watch him hit my family because of me wanting to come back to you. 3 years Magnus. In 3 years I will be 18, I can transfer to the highschool at home and we can be together. It's not forever Magnus. I promise you. I will be there in 3 years, I will do everything possible to be there as soon as I possibly can. I am not saying goodbye to you Magnus Bane. I can't promise that I can talk to you much during those 3 years. But I can promise you forever after them. As long as you can promise to wait for me." His voice is weak, drained, yet full of hope.

"I will always wait for you Alexander. But what if you find somebody else, what if you fall in love and forget about me. What if this is the end of us? Is this the end of our story Alec?"

"No. This can't be the end of our story. I refuse to accept that. Our story can't and won't end here. Magnus I waited a full year for you while you were in your coma, for me this is just like 3 comas. I can do it, I could never love somebody else. As long as you can go 3 years without falling in love and forgetting about me, then I will be there."

"I could never fall in love with somebody else." I promise him, chocking on my tears.

"I gotta go. Just don't lose hope okay? We can make it through this."

And with that Alexander is gone. The phone hangs up and I can help but wonder if what is said was true or not. Is our story over?

Is this the end?

*IMPORTANT!! PLEASE READ EVERYTHING*

A/N

  So... Like I said before this was the last chapter. The end of this book... I just felt like the book was getting a bit long...

But the story is far from over. Hopefully the first chapter of book 2, Everything Lost Again, Will be out tonight. I'm so sorry everyone, but I didn't lie to you guys, I said the book was ending, I had to keep you on your toes. So to everyone that read the comments or commented about how the book can't end yet, and my answer saying it had to end. It was true. This book had to end for the next one to start.

Please don't kill me

-Mads 💕