Chapter 8- Hope?

I was talking to Jas about Thunder Bear, making sure she knew about it and would go along with the story.

"So... You told him that thunder comes from Thunder Bear. And lightning comes from Lightning Bear... Theyre siblings. And they're your friends...?" She asks, seemingly confused.

"Yeah... I didn't know how else to calm him down."

"You're going to make an excellent parent in the future, I hope you know that. Yours and Alexander's children will be perfect with you as their father." She giggles.

"Jas." I warn. "We aren't even together."

"But you want to be."

"What I want has nothing to do with it. If he doesn't want to be together, then it's game over."

She makes a weird face at me, as if to say of course he's going to want to. But I just ignore it.

"Anyways... Can you just go alone with this Thunder Bear thing? Please? I imagine we will have to get Faith in on it as well since she's clearly afraid of thunder. But since she's only 2 we might be fine for a while."

"Of course I'll go alone with it."

I was about to thank her when step bitch slammed the door open and burst into my room.

"Hey city boy, go collect eggs. It might do you some good. Teach you how to do stuff your own way. We all know you're useless at the moment." She scoffs.

I'm thankful that she seems to be a good mood. Normally she's a lot worse.

Without a word I hang my head and run out the door to the chicken coop. The chickens were mine and Jas's Christmas presents last year, has wanted them so bad, and they didn't want to get anything for me, so they just said they were ours. Obviously they belong to Jad since I'm barely here to care for them.

I step through the door and squeeze as one of the chickens jumps down from the rafters and onto my head.

I'm not sure why or how this chicken always does this, but it's a regular occurrence.

"Dammit Nugget, this is why you're my least favourite. You scare me everytime."

I chuckle and pick the chicken up off my head, pulling her down to hold her in one arm. I say Nugget is my least favourite but she's without a doubt my favourite out of all of them. Even though she's constantly jumping on me and scaring me.

I collect some eggs, most of them seem to have gone bad so I put them in a separate bucket.

The bad eggs are the ones me and Jas get to throw later on. We go out to a certain place in the horse pasture where we're allowed to smash them all, it's the highlight of my egg collecting days.

I check around for more eggs before I head back to the house and notice they're out of food.

The barn with the food in it is only a few feet away from the coop so it doesn't take me long to fill their dishes.

"I'll see you guys later!" I call to the chickens before heading out.

Sure, you may find it weird that I talk to my chickens every once in a while, but in a hellish place like this, you make friends with whomever you can.

"Only a few of them were good." I tell Kathy, my head down and my eyes staring at my own feet. I've learned not to look her in the eye, it never ends well.

She snatches then out of my hand.

"Get going boy! I can't stand the sight of you!" I hurry off to Jasmine's room.