Chapter 4- The Play Room

"Hey Mags..." Jas begins to ask. "Why are we just meeting you now...?"

I turn and look right in her eyes... She's sad. I don't know if she blames me, my father, or herself. But I see the blame in her eyes. A look of hatred, but it doesn't seem to be pointed towards me, in fact the look in her eyes that's pointed to be seems like nothing but love, and lots of it.

"I'm not sure Jas... I'd like to know the answer to that too... Why now? Why am I just learning about my siblings and father, and step mother... The only thing I had to tell me anything about my dad, before now, was one picture... I didn't know if he was still alive, he could've moved across the world for all I'd know, so why now take an interest in me... Did you guys know about me before?" I'm not sure I wanna know the answer but I ask anyways.

"We've known that you existed for about a year now, but your father never really talks about you... I think he likes to just pretend you were never born... So I don't know what's gotten into him... We didn't know we'd be meeting you until until he left to pick you up this morning." The sad look on her face worsens, she wanted me to be able to answer her question.

"I'm not surprised that he doesn't like to acknowledge my existence... He left shortly after my first birthday and I haven't heard from him since, until today when I got a phone call from him..."

"I'm so sorry... How abou-"

"SUPPER!!!!" And old, cracky female voice inturrupts her.

Jas searches my face for a moment before giving me a big hug, but I didn't hug her back, I didn't have time. She squeezed me tight and quickly let go.

"We better get going... They don't like people being late for supper." She tells me, it almost sounds like a warning.

"Okay... Lets go Theo." I help my brother up from his place on his little matress, he's been laying there quietly this whole time, kind of strange for a 3 year old if you ask me, but at least he isn't loud.

Supper looks disgusting, it almost looked like somebody tried to make lasagna but failed horribly, I could tell just by looking at it that everything was overcooked, and it was so covered in mushrooms and green peppers you could barely even see the lasagna it self. They put so much pepper on top it looks like a blanket of black. I think taking a bite of this might give you some serious diseases. Am I being tortured?

I start taking the mushrooms and peppers off with my fork, which thankfully takes most of the pepper off too, but before I'm even half way done a hand smacks mine hard, causing my hand to smash down, landing half on my plate half off. I feel a painfull stinging sensation on my palm, I'm gonna have a huge bruise from that tomorrow.

"WHAT THE HELL!!" I scream out of instinct, holding my hand with my other one in some strange attempt to stop the pain, it of course hardly makes a difference.

When she looks up at me her eyes are furious. I can see the anger boiling inside her, like fire after you add gas, it doesn't take long to become big enough to be a problem. And this look in her eyes, it looks like it could be a problem... For me at least.

"In this household we eat all of our fucking food, I don't care if you're not actually a part of this family, if you're eating here, you eat it all. If I put a pile of fucking dog shit in front of you, you damn well better eat it. All you are and ever will be is a waste of my time, don't be even more of a waste of my money too." She warns me, but I can tell she isn't finished with me. She's right, all I am is a waste of their time and money. I'm not their son...

"AND DON'T YOU EVER..." she pauses then screams even louder. "EVER TALK BACK TO ME YOU GOT IT?"

I hang my head in defeat. I knew there would be a catch, maybe I coukd just stay away from her. I could just stick around Jas and Theo.