Chapter 42: Liam

"All right Liam, what the fuck happened between you and my brother last night asshole? You haven't stopped smiling all goddamn morning and my mind is going fucking crazy here!" Greg said as we were mending the fence in the east pasture.

I stood up and took my cowboy hat off and wiped the sweat off my face with my shirt. I smiled over at Greg and I thought for sure he was about to walk up and punch the shit out of me.

"Dude, nothing happened like what you're thinking happened. I already told you, I respect your brother and your friendship more than that."

"Well then shit, Liam, something must have happened because you're fucking walking around on cloud nine."

"I told Niall last night that I loved him and he told me he loved me. We talked about where we saw our futures. He asked me if I was going to go play pro and I told him no. My dream was to be here and he pretty much told me he loved the ranch as much as I did."

Greg ran his hands through his hair and looked at me. The smile that came across his face was all I needed to see. We walked up to each other and he grabbed my hand and smacked it and then shook it.

"Holy fucking shit. Liam Payne is in love and it's with my baby brother. I never thought I would see the goddamn day! That's great Liam. That's really great, dude. I know you make my brother happy. I have not seen him this happy in, well shit... I've never seen him this happy!"

I started to laugh as I slapped him on the back. "Well the feeling is mutual. He makes me happy Greg and I can't stand to be away from him for a second. I just want to make him happy for the rest of his life."

"That's good to hear. Really good to hear, 'cause if you ever hurt him Liam, I'll fucking kill you and not think twice about it."

I stopped taking a drink of my water and looked at Greg. He went back to fixing the fence like he didn't even just threaten me with my life.

"Well, I don't ever intend on hurting him but, that's good to know dude..."

Greg and I spent most of the morning fixing the back east pasture fence. Drake said they lost a few cattle last week so hopefully this will put a stop to that. I fucking loved it out here. Working with my hands in the Texas summer heat – shit, there wasn't anything else like it.

"Shit, I'm ready to cool off. How hot do you think it is today?" Greg said as he pulled his shirt off and wiped his face off with it.

"Fuck if I know. Gramps said yesterday it got up to 101, but it sure as shit is different when you're sitting in a barn drinking cold beer!"

Just then we heard "Highway to Hell" blaring from up the gravel road.

"That has to be Dewey. Bastard always did like AC/DC," Greg said as he grabbed his shirt and put it back on. "Why the fuck he is going to the river with us anyway? Did you see the way he was looking Louis up and down? That asshole."

I had to laugh at Greg. He won't admit his feelings for Louis, but he didn't want anyone else to notice him either. It was all too fucked up for me to try and understand.

Dewey pulled up next to Gramps' truck and parked. He jumped out and made his way over to us.

"What's up dudes? You heading down to the river? It's almost one and Louis said that's what time they were meeting you."

Holy fuck, this bastard had already been drinking. That was not cool, not at all. I wonder if this is a normal thing for him.

"When did you talk to Louis, Dew?" Greg asked as he loaded the tools up in the truck.