36 | ❝now i understand why peter pan didn't want to grow up.❞

if one word could describe the whole ordeal lewis and raylee were going through in one word then it had to be chaos

if one word could describe the whole ordeal lewis and raylee were going through in one word then it had to be chaos. everything was chaos. right now, life felt like wreck it ralph. and trust this, life was wrecking it all.

"i'm having a concert here in pennsylvania. believe me, i could've found myself a hotel, but my manager -- who just happens to be my freaking mom -- thought it was a good idea to save money and stay here. and, it would be convenient, seeing as some of the press thinks this is fake. it's only for a night and i'll be leaving right after the concert."

raylee nodded.

"i'm sorry, raylee. i really didn't want to drag you into this. i mean, you were just supposed to be my friend and then i managed to fuck everything up." he sighed.

she grinned. it was true, he came into her life with a negative attitude. but now, she was starting to see what he hadn't shown her at first and it was pretty and worth looking at. and the fact that he had called her his friend, made her happy.

"lewis. i'm totally okay with it."

by now, a mattress was set on the floor and both sat on their bed.

"can i ask you something?" she laid down on her bed and stared up at the ceiling.

lewis looked up to her. "sure."

"your mother said you used to like disney before. what changed?" she had been wondering this for a long time now and it was only now she got the chance to ask.

he sighed and shrugged. "i just don't find it interesting anymore. i used to love it, but i grew old, i guess. i had more important things to think about." he had laid down on his mattress too. "now i understand why peter pan didn't want to grow up."

"you know," she began. "i'm just going to use walt disney's words on this one. growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional. i think you just chose to grow up, because let's face it. disney is for children, so i get it. but i don't think i'll ever be able to grow up without disney. i just love the joy it brings.

"i love the unrealistic endings and the unreliable endings. i love the princesses and i love the animals. when i watch disney, i can just pretend for a few hours that my life isn't shitty. i'm a childish person and soon to become an adult, yes. but i still haven't grown up. besides, i don't think i'm cut for the grown up life." she paused. "did you know that you look so much younger when you aren't tense and always calculating what to say? you're a teenager. so be it, y'know?"

lewis smiled sadly. "too bad you can't grow young."

"who's the one to say so? you can, and i know it. i can help you if you want to." she turned on her side to face him.

lewis only chuckled. "thanks for the offer."

"i'm serious. do you want to continue your miserable life in agony and sadness? or do you want to continue your miserable life in happiness and joy?"

lewis looked at her with a what-the-fuck face and then he took a sharp intake of breathe. "okay, first, i wouldn't necessarily call my life . . . miserable. second, happiness and joy is basically the same shit," he furrowed his eyebrows and then widened his eyes at her. "this is actually going to be a problem."

raylee threw her hands in the air. "the problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem."

"you're not captain jack fucking sparrow, raylee. you'll never become him."

"watch me. i still have the costume i wore last year dressed up as him. please, mon chérie, repeat that sentence so i can show you just how much jack sparrow i can become."

lewis only stared at her and didn't doubt for a second that she wouldn't do what she had just promised. this made him laugh.

"fine. you've managed to change my mind, and i think this will leave me in amusement, so i'll take you up on the offer. teach me how to 'become' young again."

raylee gave a content smile. "excellent. your lesson starts now. what's you favourite movie?"

"i don't know. to kill a mockingbird? although the book is so much better."

raylee gasped. "wrong! not anymore. even though it's a great movie, eff-y-i." she sat up straight. "second favourite movie?"

"eh, star wars?"

raylee smiled. "yes, you're not as hopeless as i originally thought. we can work with that. because as you definitely know, disney bought the rights to star wars. which means we are still dealing with disney, my forté."

"cool?"

"next saturday, we're having the ultimate child-like day. you owe me, remember? we're doing this next saturday to bring out the child in you."

lewis groaned. "disneyland?"

"bingo! ding, ding, ding. ten points to gryffindor!"

"that's not even disney."

"in the end, you'll realise that nobody asked you."