54 | ❝i am lucky to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.❞

raylee walked over to him with sandra trailing behind after her

lewis was signing an autograph and looked pretty into it. once he was finished, he glanced upwards and gave the smiling girl in front of him a genuine smile. "have a nice evening."

the girl squealed and walked away without saying anything else. this gathered a chuckle from lewis. when he looked after the next person in the line, he widened his eyes in shock.

"you came." he stated, not even believing it himself.

raylee smiled. "sure i did. i liked your performance."

he returned the smile, and without saying anything, he ran a shaky hand through his styled hair.

"and?"

"what is there to say? you know pretty well how to woo a girl off her feet. i mean, 'you're perfect'? that's maybe an exaggeration. have you met me?" she tried to joke, but failed. "all jokes aside, i did get the meaning behind it."

lewis smiled a sad, content smile at her answer. "i have met you and i'm happy i did because then i got to write a song about you and also get to know you. not necessarily in that order."

raylee frowned and looked down at their hands. "i'm sorry for shutting you out and then being a bitch. not necessarily in that order."

"why are you apologising to me? haven't i done that hundreds of times now? i think we're even, agreed?" lewis laughed a heavenly laugh, which soothed her worries.

"i mean, yeah you have."

then he turned serious. "raylee, i just . . ." he seemed like he was thinking about what he should say. "two weeks ago, i was supposed to confess my feelings for you. but now . . . i just don't think it would be good for the both of us if we tried to persuade a relationship," he stated, as if telling the truth was hard. "mostly because i'm not perfect and i make mistakes which are now labelling me as the asshole of your princess story and i myself don't think i have any feelings for you. you don't deserve that. and i still need to grow and be independent without my mother."

raylee opened her mouth to say something, but got interrupted. even so, she listened patiently. "at this point, i don't even know who i am. i've still got to find out who i am, and i'm sure you've got to do the same. hell, i still need to figure out if the gossip about me being anything else than straight is true!" he laughed a genuine one. "i might be. might be not. point is, you're sweet, kind and all compliments mixed into one, and i took advantage of that by being a manipulative asshole."