05 | beautiful

When Kristen gets out of the bathroom, after shaving and bathing herself before bedtime, the person she has least expected to see is in her bedroom.

Her mother.

Why is she there? What does she want?

Jules taps her foot. "We need to talk."

Kristen gulps, worried. For the first time, she is anxious to talk to her mom. She doesn't want to worry her. Little does she know how many sleepless nights in a row has had her mother.

"There's nothing to talk about. Everything is fine, Mom," she puts an accent on "Mom".

Jules shakes her head. "No, no, Kristen. You're lying. I'm sick of lies!"

And Kristen doesn't want her mother to raise her voice. She plays with the belt of her bathrobe, twisting it around her fingers.

If her mother notices her shaved legs . . . oh, boy.

Oh, boy.

She does.

Jules' eyes move up and down, hoping to notice something odd in her child, when she sees that the hair on the legs is not there.

She gasps. "Kristen! What has happened to your legs?"

The girl wants to shove her mother out of the room. But she can't do that. She's hurt her enough, when she doesn't deserve it.

"I . . . I shaved them," she whispers, looking down.

Jules raises an eyebrow. "What? I couldn't hear you."

"I shaved them," Kristen says it louder, still looking at the floor.

The mother is shocked. Why would a child want to shave her legs? Why would her child want to do that? It would be more understandable if Kristen was slightly older, with more experience.

But she was just a child.

A little girl.