12 | beautiful

The atmosphere in the Stewart family has calmed a little. Dana is still a little prankster and Cameron is still anxious about college applications. Next year, he is going to be a senior and he isn't sure where does he want to work.

Her parents are less worried because now they know that if Kristen is in her room, she is probably playing with Max or writing in her diary. Not talking to them doesn't bother them that much anymore. She is growing up. It's normal.

One day, however, while Kristen is playing with the cat, trying to teach him to give a paw, like the family dogs, Jack and Lily, Max scratches her with his nails.

"Oww!" Kristen cries in pain. Her hand begins to bleed, like the first time she has shaved her legs.

She is about to panic, when she remembers what have her parents told her in case she gets scratched by an animal.

Kristen runs to the toilet, turns on the water and lets it run down her hand, occasionally gently rubbing some soap to make sure the wounds are cleaned.

When she finishes, she wipes away the water from her hand and looks at the scars. They look intriguing to her. They kind of remind her of something. They're not that deep, slightly reddish. Just like the scar from her first shaving.

It reminds her of the things she's been through. All the mistreating, all the emotional pain.