43 | beautiful

It's hard to live with an eating disorder.

You're lonely. You have no one to talk to.

Just like Kristen.

She can't wait to go back home to her Momma, Daddy and brothers. She missed Jules' support, John's singing, the boys' tight hugs.

How are they? Have they gone to church the previous Sunday? Have they made a weekly barbeque in the weekend?

Speaking of which, where are they? Why haven't they visited her yet?

Are they even aware of their daughter's condition?

Her eyes fill with tears from the thoughts of them. What if they have forgotten about her?

Impossible.

She's  their only daughter, the little girl they have desired. How can they not be there for her?

Her heart races. She can hear it.

Stupid beeping machines.

A knock on the door is enough for her to blink her tears away, hopeful that maybe today she will have some visitors.

The door opens. Sadly, it's just the nurse, who has to check up on Kristen every hour. Every single hour. Annoying and embarrassing.

The nurse has to help with measuring, weighting, putting feeding tubes, even changing nightgowns. Kristen's sure she's not going to be working in a hospital in the future.

"How are you feeling today?" , the nurse asks with a smile.

Kristen does not want to return the smile. She can bet all her Christmas savings that people are talking bad things behind her back, how she's fat and hopeless - never going to get out of the hospital. But she smiles softly from politeness.

Kill them with kindness.