(Chapter 7) The Sorting

Once me and Hazel got off the train we started to stretch and breathe in the fresh air, "Ahhhhh, Hogwarts at last," Hazel beamed and ate another chocolate frog, "You know we still have a feast, right?" I commented.

 "Yeah, but it's chocolate, and chocolate is amazing, Luci." Hazel said but with a hint of sass in her voice.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" We heard a voice call. We both turned around and saw a giant man waving for the the first years to come. 

"Hagrid, he's the schools gamekeeper. I heard he has really big interest on all sorts of animals," I muttered to Hazel as we walked over to him, Hazel seem more and more excited as we walk near Hagrid. 

"I heard mermaid are in the Black Lake," I told Hazel and got in a boat, Hazel just smiled more and jumped in the boat causing it to wobble. As the boats rowed down the lake, we saw the amazing view of Hogwarts and the night sky.

"Hazel what classes are you looking forward to?" I asked as we stared into the night sky.

"Every single class, mostly Herbology though, however in third year I plan on taking Care for Magical  Creatures." Hazel answered still staring into the night sky, blinking every now and then.

After we arrived on land, me and Hazel jumped off the boat and followed Hagrid up the flight of stairs to the castle. Hagrid raised his gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door, the door swung open. 

A tall, grey haired witch in dark emerald green robes stood there. She had a very stern look on her face. "Better not make her mad," I whispered to Hazel, chuckling.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." said Hagrid. "Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here," She pulled the door wide open, the entrance hall looked amazing. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, with ceilings as high was the sky and a grand staircase that can lead us to the upper floors.

We followed the professor across the halls, I could hear hundreds voices from a door to the right. The rest of the school was already in there, but Professor McGonagall led us to a small empty camber off the hall. We all crowed in standing closely together, we were all peering around nervously. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts." said McGonagall, "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like you family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room."

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has it's own noble history and has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you points. At the end of the year, the house with then most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours,"

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." She said while her eyes lingered on a few people, "I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly."

Hazel turn to me and pointed at her long light brown hair, "Is my hair okay, do I need to fix it?" She asked and started to panic. 

"It's fine Hazel, your hair is amazing. Now, is my hair okay," I said and pointed to my shoulder length wavy dark brown hair, Hazel chuckled.

 "Yes, your hair is amazing, but mine is better." she replied and ran her fingers through her hair, we erupted into small fits of giggles.

Suddenly several people started screaming, "What the-" Hazel said but was cut off by her and several people gasping. About twenty ghost had just streamed through the wall. They were pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly glancing at all of us. They seemed to be arguing.