(Chapter 46) Four Champions

Everyone had stayed in the Great Hall after dinner, anxiously waiting for the names to be drawn. Hazel had betted one galleon to her boyfriend, Rodrick, that Cedric Diggory would be chosen as Hogwarts Champion. I on the other hand just didn't care, as long as Hogwarts won it doesn't really matter to me.  

"Sit down, please!" Dumbledore announced, and everyone found in the cleared tables. "Now the moment, you've all been waiting for! The champions selection!" 

Hazel excitedly clutched my arms, smiling as she glanced across the room at Rodrick who was with his friends. 

Dumbledore turned around, waving his hand in a motion that dimmed the fires, he approached the Goblet of Fire, which the flames of the goblet shown more brightly than anything in the Great Hall.  

The flames inside the goblet turned red and sparks began to fly, a tongue of the flame shot upwards into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out. Dumbledore caught it in midair, holding it to arms length. 

"The champion for Durmstrang is," Dumbledore read in a clear, strong voice. "Viktor Krum!" 

A storm of applause swept through the Great Hall, I looked up and saw Krum walk up to Dumbledore; he turned right and walked along the staff table, then disappeared through the door into the next chamber.  

"Why am I not surprised?" I sighed, resting my cheek on my hand.  

Slowly, the clapping died down and everyone's attention was on the goblet once again, seconds later the goblet turned red and another piece of parchment spewed out.  

"The champion of Beauxbatons," said Dumbledore, reading from the slip of paper, "is Fleur Delacour!" 

The same girl who helped me clean up the broken glass from a few days ago, rose to her feet gracefully and walked up between the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables, disappearing into the chambers as Krum did.  

"It's her- it's her!" I told Hazel, who is now more excited to find out who the champion for Hogwarts is, her one galleon is on the line. 

The Goblet of Fire turned red once again; a tongue of the flames shot into the air, the final piece of parchment was now in Dumbledore's hands. "The Hogwarts champion," called Dumbledore, "is Cedric Diggory!" 

The roar of applause was overshadowed by every single Hufflepuff jumping to their feet, screaming and stamping as Cedric Diggory made his way to the chamber behind the teacher's table.  

Hazel clapped loudly and spotted Rodrick at the Ravenclaw table, she gave him a smug grin and stuck out her tongue.  

"Excellent!" Dumbledore called happily as the cheering died down. "We now have our three champions, but in the end, only one will go down in history, only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory- the Triwizard Cup!" 

Dumbledore turned around and pointed to the stand in front of the teacher's table, a cover is lifted and a beautiful and dazzling trophy of silver and glass was shown, blinding to the eyes. 

"That must cost a fortune," I remarked. 

Dumbledore seemed to stop and turn around to the face the goblet, it was apparent to everyone of what distracted him, the fire in the goblet turned red once again.  

A long flame shot up in the air and the piece of parchment that came with it was now in Dumbledore's hands.  

I covered my mouth, a bad gut feeling and this time I trusted that bad gut feeling. "Hey, if we have to run, we run," I whispered to Hazel, who nodded and clutched my arm tighter.