(Chapter 26) Hazel's Mother

By next morning, the snow that had begun last night had turned into a blizzard, so harsh that the last Herbology lesson of the term was canceled. Immediately when I heard at breakfast, I was devastated, because we were supposed to fit socks onto the Mandrakes, which was a rather tricky operation.

Hazel had refused to let me go to the greenhouses or the workshop, instead, she demanded me to practice a song in the choir with her. "You've been cooped up in that workshop of yours whenever you have free time, I demand you, Lucinda Sparks, to spend time with me for this one free period!"

"Fine, fine," I winced, giving her an apologetic look. "Where do you want to practice?"

"Finally, now, any empty classroom would be good." Hazel smiled.

I shrugged and gave her a gesture that said 'lead the way', not wanting to argue about where to go for practice. Satisfied, Hazel grabbed our bags and lead me to a classroom near the library. "In you go," Hazel instructed as she closed the door behind us.

Settling down our bags at a table, she pulled out two sheets of music and gave me one. "What's this for?" I asked, wrinkling my nose at the parchment.

"We sing it of course." Hazel laughed at my cluelessness. "It's the one we've been practicing, you know, Double Trouble,"

"You mean, Something Wicked This Way Comes? Well, there are many names for it." I said as I read the piece of parchment. Hazel tapped her wand on the desk three times, "Let's get started then," eventually we sand along in unison, our voices chorusing the words.

"Double, double, toil and trouble- Fire burn and cauldron bubble-"

Smiling, we sang louder and louder, yet the sound was still pleasant enough to bear, "In the cauldron boil and bake, fillet of a fenny snake~"

"Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf, witches' mummy, maw and g-" before we could finish, yelling came from the hallway behind the door.

"ATTACK! ATTACK! ANOTHER ATTACK! NO MORTAL OR GHOST IS SAFE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! ATTAAAACK!" Peeves' familiar bellowed. 

Panicking, Hazel and I ran to the door, crashing it open. Down the hall, several doors did the same, people flooded out, staring at the crime scene. There, Harry stood beside two figures, both petrified, immobile, frozen. Finch-Fletchley was lying on the floor, rigid and cold, a look of shock frozen on his face, his eyes stared blankly at the ceiling. Next to him was a black and smoky figure, suddenly I realized that it was Nearly Headless Nick, the house ghost was no longer pearly-white and transparent. 

Harry pinned onto the wall, breathing heavily with a guilty and shocked expression. "no- it wasn't-" his voice was rivaled by the massive amount of screaming and gasping. McGonagall came running down the hallway, using her wand she set off a loud bang, which restored the silence. She quickly ordered everyone back to their classes, or to whatever they were doing.

Shocked, Hazel hurriedly pushed me back into the classroom and locked the door, quietly we plopped ourselves on the wooden floor, staring and waiting for one another to speak.

Sighing, Hazel finally said, "Luci, I'm scared, what if you and I are next?"

"What do you mean? Doesn't the monster just target Muggle-borns?" I scoffed, confused on where she is going with this conversation. "You're are a Half-blood, Hazel, so you shouldn't be in any danger."

"I'm just scared, a ghost and a cat, they're not Muggle-born, and one of them is already dead but still got petrified. I'm honestly scared of Harry, not sure if I can trust him..." tears were starting to form in the corners of Hazel's light green eyes.