(Chapter 39) Let's Prank

On the first day of Christmas holidays, I woke up to an empty dorm. I remembered that Pansy, Hazel, and Millicent had all gone home for the holidays, while I had to stay because Mum and Dad have work, and could not provide much time for me. I wasn't particularly happy because I was practically the only Slytherin who didn't go home for the holidays. Leaving the whole dormitory to myself, which was one of the only upside to my situation. 

Aside from that, George seemed to be giving me the silent treatment. When I tried to casually talk to him, he brushed me off like I wasn't there. I'd decided to ignore him too, and leave him alone. Fred had been more nice, and assured me that George was making a fuss out of nothing. 

I couldn't read George's mind since he never looked at me, never focusing his eyes on mine long enough, always looking away like he's seen a total stranger. 

Sullen-faced, I reluctantly got out of bed and washed up in the bathroom. After that, I got dressed in shorts, a dark blue jumper, and boots, despite the cold weather and snow. I put on my cloak and took a neatly-wrapped parcel from my nightstand. 

After breakfast in the Great Hall, I headed to the Owlery to deliver the parcel. 

"Miss Sparks," a voice rang from behind me, I halted in my steps and turned around. It was Dumbledore in his silvery blue robes and a new hat. He handed me an envelope with the Ministry seal on it. "Would you mind bringing this our dear friend, Hagrid?" 

"Of course not Professor," I replied, replacing my sullen look with a smile. "I was just heading down to the Owlery. Is this about Buckbeak, Sir?" 

Dumbledore nodded, giving me a tired smile. "Thank you, Miss Sparks, have a wonderful holiday." 

"You too, Professor." I turned back to the corridor. 

As I walked down to Hagrid's hut, which was on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Curiosity got the better of me, I carefully opened the letter and scanned it through, gasping as I finished. Resealing it as I arrived at the steps of Hagrid's house and watched Buckbeak with pity, before knocking on Hagrid's door. 

The door opened, revealing a cheerful looking Hagrid. He looked at me in surprise. "Oh, 'ello Lucinda, haven' seen yeh fer a long time." he smiled and noticed the letter in my hands. "What's this?" 

I gave him an apologetic expression, and handed him the letter. "Erm, Hagrid, Professor Dumbledore told me to give you this- I'm really sorry." I fumbled with my words, not wanting to break it to him bluntly. "Have a nice holiday." 

He looked at me, confused, and nodded, slowly realizing what the Ministry seal meant, and what the letter would be about. He sent me a nod before closing the door I walked away as quickly as I could, continuing my way to the Owlery. 

I found Ginger snacking on a mouse in the back of the Owlery. Sighing, I held the package in front of him, and tied it to his leg. Satisfied with the knot, I petted Ginger on the head, telling him where to go, he nipped my finger affectionately before flying away. 

Someone cleared their throat behind me. "Hey," 

Surprised, I turned around and my face broke into a grin. "Fred! What're you doing here?" 

He rolled his eyes, and held out an envelope, "What does it look like I'm doing? I'm sending a letter!" 

I laughed, "I meant who're you sending it to?"  

"Mum and dad. Who are you sending your package to? A friend in your muggle school?" he gave the letter to Errol and sent him off. 

"Muggle friend?" I rolled my eyes at the thought. "Of course not. I went to Harry's school before coming to Hogwarts, people tried to avoid us as much as possible, they hated us, let alone make friends with us. Those muggles were horrible."