(Chapter 43) Ordinary Summer

With the school year over and the summer holidays ready to advance, I wasn't the happiest. Wherever I went I seemed to bump into the new couple, George and Odessa. Talking and giggling in the hallways, court year, black lake, they seemed to be everywhere I went.  

Or maybe I go everywhere they went. 

. . . 

The Hogwarts Express pulled out of the station and was heading to London, Hazel and I sat with each other like always. The diary was still ruined by the ink, sadly, and I vowed never to buy that brand of ink ever again.  

Hazel got out a hair tie from her pocket and began braiding my hair, I didn't protest and happily let her do her work. As she was almost finished with the braiding, our compartment door opened to reveal a the ginger haired twin I did not want to see. 

"Lucinda," he invited himself in and closed the compartment door. Smiling, he handed me a chocolate frog, "I didn't thank you yet for the advice, even if I didn't use it or anything, but you gave me confidence! And I just wanted to ask you to write to me this summer, you know, keep in contact. And maybe visit my house too." 

"Uh, sure," I answered quietly, not entirely sure of what to say. Hazel stopped braiding and waited for what's to come next. 

"Oh, and we're going to the Quidditch World Cup this summer!" He announced proudly, happy about the fact. "Dad can get us tickets from work, Ron invited Hermione and Harry, and I was thinking to invite you. Since you're my friend and unofficial sister after all." 

'Sister', that word hurts. 

"Why don't you just invite your girlfriend?" I prompted coldly. 

I heard Hazel mutter quietly, "-Oh there it is..." 

George seemed a bit taken aback at my cold tone. "Oh, Emila? She's not really a fan of Quidditch," 

"But she was cheering you on at every game." I said dryly.  

"Because I was playing," George shot back. "So would you like to come? I'm inviting you to a once a lifetime opportunity here." 

"No thanks," I said in a cold and polite way, turning my head away from him and to the window, as if I was interested in the greenery I have seen for over three years. "I'm not interested, Quidditch is boring." 

"All right then, I should get going to Fred, the trolley lady is going to come around soon and I got the money on me. Bye!" He waved before exiting the compartment. 

Hazel tied the end of the braid and looked at me, concerned. "Luci, did you really not want to go, or...?" 

"I don't know." I shrugged at her. 

I was now uninterested in Quidditch, or anything that concerned with George. Thinking back on it, I only liked Quidditch because George played, and I even played for a year as Beater for Slytherin, the same position as George. 

I guess I only wanted his attention. But now it doesn't matter. 

. . . . . 

During breakfast, Mum nearly choked on her tea when she saw the headline for the Daily Prophet, she cursed loudly making dad gasp at her colourful language. 

"What is it?" I asked, placing down my tea cup and crawled out of my chair, going to her side and seeing the Prophet for myself. I gasped and began reading the text, a sudden jolt of fear thumped in my chest. "Oh sh-" 

"Lucinda..." dad warned, interrupting my own swear word, then turned to Mum, "Kathy, dear, there's children here and you should use that kind of foul language." he tilted his head to me.