(Chapter 27) Christmas Letters

I woke up to the sound of my alarm, yawning, I sat up in my comfy bed and scratched the back of my head. I slammed my hand onto the alarm, shutting it off instantly. While wondering how my alarm hasn't broken yet, I stretched out my arms and cracked my knuckles.

Looking around the room I saw that Ginger was sitting on top of his cage, in his mouth was a small leg of a bird, suggesting that he had a feast last night when I had let him out.

"Ginger!" I exclaimed, a shocked expression filled my face entirely, jumping off my bed I pointed to the window. "Out! I told you before, no animal remains in my room," he let out a small hoot then quickly flew out of the window.

"Cannibalism." I sighed, glancing at the clock I saw that it was already eight, a smug smile crept up to my face. 'Presents...'.  But before I could do so, I brushed my teeth and my hair. I changed into an oversized sweater that belonged to my mum, a pair of grey pants, and knitted socks.

Grinning madly, I ran down the stairs and straight into the living room, the smell of pancakes came floating from the kitchen along with laughter. Plopping myself on the floor, I grabbed the first present I saw that had my name.

"Lucinda, dear," my mum said from behind me, she handed me a paper cutter.

"Yeah?"

"After you open three presents, come to the table to eat, then you can open the rest," she told me carefully, a worried look flashed onto her face. "Are you alright with that?" mum was always worried about me having a terrible Christmas, she would spoil me with food and presents that I don't need, but either way I'm still grateful.

"Yeah," I nodded with a smile, she walked back to the kitchen and started preparing hot apple cider and tea.

Focusing back on the gift, I tore open the wrapping paper and used the cutter to cut open the cardboard box. On top of the colorful tissue paper was a handwritten card.

Happy Christmas Lucinda,   

I hope that you'll like this present, and see you back at school.    

-H.S   

Smiling down at the card, I settled it beside me while I dug into the gifts. Hazel has gotten me another floral teacup, but this time with my name on it. The second present I opened was from my parents, they had given me several dresses and a new pair of flats. The third present was in a small box, I untied the ribbon carefully, wanting to save the beautiful pattern for future use.

Opening the box I saw a small charm sitting on a velvet-like material, it was a small broomstick charm, perfect for the charm bracelet I had gotten last year. I grinned, knowing that it could be the same person. "Mum! I'm finished, but lemme go to my room first."

I heard a small 'okay' from the kitchen, meaning that I got her permission. I walked upstairs with the three gifts I had unwrapped, opening the door to my room I saw that Ginger had gotten back into his cage, but this time he had a rat tail sticking out of his mouth.

Not bothering to scold him since it was Christmas and because I'm in a good mood, I let it slide for only this one time. Placing the gifts on my desk, I walked over to my nightstand and opened up the jore, grabbing the charm bracelet I carefully hooked on the small silver broomstick. "Heh, I get the joke," I muttered. "A broomstick and I play Quidditch this year."

"Lucinda!" mum called from downstairs. "Tea and cider is ready!"

"Coming mum!" I replied, smiling to myself I skipped my way downstairs and towards the kitchen, the memory from last year when I got the charm bracelet was now fresh in my mind.