Nueve

*skip to fifth year*

It was the beginning of fifth year. James, Sirius, and Peter managed to become animagi to help Remus with his full moon problem. No one knew about that, not even Cassiopeia.

Marlene and her became closer. They talked about the boys they snogged and the mischief they cause.

Remus and Lilly were the Gryffindor prefects. They acted as nice as always, Remus was more laid back than Lilly, but that was because of his friends.

It was a Friday night. Marlene had gone to sleep early and Cassiopeia decided to go to the astronomy tower. Call it fate or destiny, but Remus Lupin was in charge of the night patrol in that area specifically.

He smelled fire whiskey and cigarette smoke. He knew it belonged to Cassiopeia, the damaged girl.

"It's past curfew" was all he said. He didn't want to look at her.

"I know" was all she said. Remus was annoyed by the lack of communication she had with him. It was always the same. Every time he talked to her, her answers were precise and short.

"I don't want to give you detention"

"Then don't"

He began to get angry at her. He knew her behavior towards him was his fault but he needed to talk to his former best friend.

"Cass... I.. I'm sorry"

She turned around. Her face was a mess, makeup everywhere. He still thought she looked pretty.

"You're a tad late for that Lupin" she said searching for an emotion in his eyes. Anything.

He sighed

"I can't do this, I can't do this anymore" his eyes were glassy

"I can't do this, I can't do this anymore" his eyes were glassy. You could see he was trying his best not to cry.

"Do what Lupin?"

He was quiet, he didn't want to fight.

"Fight, I need you" one whole year without talking to her. More than one actually, he couldn't bare it anymore.

"Take this to Dumbledor's pensive."

She stood up and left Remus crying in the dark. Remus didn't lose any time and ran to Dumbledor's office.

"Chocolate frog" the gargoyle let him in and the pensive stood in front of the werewolf.

The memory he saw was the one of the night they fought. He saw how Petunia taunted her, and saw her real intentions. He heard the talk with Regulus.

"I love him Reggie, but he doesn't believe me"

"That just means he's stupid. You trust him but he doesn't trust you? That's bullshit.

Remus got out of the memory and saw the professor staring at him.

"Professor Dumbledor" he was scared.

"No need to be scared Mr. Lupin, very touching, the memory." He sat down and motioned Remus to sit down as well "if you let me give you advice, I must say she needs light in her heart."

"Forgive me professor, but I'm no light"

"Mr. Lupin, we can find light even in the darkest places"

                                     🌙🌙🌙

Remus spent the whole day looking for Cassiopeia. He felt guilty, guilty was an understatement.

"Lilly! Have you seen Cassiopeia?" She was surprised, Remus hadn't talked about her since third year.

"No, have you tried the lake? What happened?"

"I said I was sorry and she gave me her memory to go to the pensive. I shouldn't of told her she felt better than everyone. I should of listen to her."

"How could you say that? She was your friend

"How could you say that? She was your friend. I thought, I thought she was the only one that said harsh stuff"

Lilly was angry. Angry was a understatement, her friend's life was fucked up because of a boy.

"Go to her Remus"