•Part 1•

September 11th 1963

The silence was deafening to her, she fiddled with her hands trying to figure out her future.

"You're quiet" her father said keeping his eyes on the road. He was taking Amelia to the train station for her first day at the top newspaper company in London.

"I'm just..." she gazed out the window for a moment "thinking" she continued.

"About?" Her father said trying to get a better answer out of her.

"My life!" She said shacking her head and finally looking at her father.

"You don't need to be nervous, even if you won't admit it" he joked making her smile slightly.

"Besides, you did great at your interview last month and they've given you a job especially for you" he said proudly.

Amelia had worked so hard for the job that she'd always dreamt of getting, it was harder than she anticipated. But Amelia being Amelia, she got the job in a heartbeat and out smarted the examiner as she did with most people. It was a surprise she even had any friends. Amelia was different, lovely but unique. She was fun, independent, clever and musical. Music was her passion not only did she play but she loved listening to music ever since she was born. She was into all kinds of genres. Swing, jazz, rock n roll, rockabilly, skiffle ,but not country, and many more.

Amelia had no idea what was going to come.

"Here we are" her father said pulling up outside the station.

"Here it goes!" She said taking a deep breath.

She bought a ticket that lasted her a week, luckly her train was on time and it wasn't far from Brighton to London. The journey seemed to fly right past, getting lost in her thoughts and things to say. She got off at her stop and made her way to the newspaper headquarters.

Amelia was wearing a long royal blue pencil dress accompanied by a matching blazer which her mother decided to buy her for her first day. She walked up to the reception desk where a nicely dressed women sat with her typewriter.

"Hello, how can I help?" She said looking up from her machine.

"Hello. This is my first day, Mr Miles said to speak to someone at reception about The London Post?" She enquired.

"Ah ha. You must be Amelia Jordan, I've heard a lot about you" she said smiling as she got out of her seat and walked around the desk, Amelia smiled back politely.

"Come this way" she continued and walked Amelia to an office with "The London Post" written in bold black letters on the door. The receptionist knocked firmly on the hard door and was told to come in.

"Yes yes Amelia Jordan my star writer!" The tall man said as his put out his cigar.

"Well I haven't actually written anything yet but I can't wait" she said smiling gratefully and shaking his large tough hand.

"Anyway. Take a seat" he gestured to a large chair in front of Mr Miles' desk filled with photographs and paper.

"We want you to start working as soon as possible and I think I've found the perfect job for you..." he said getting up finding a small file.

"We'd love you to write a column each week for The London Post newspaper about all that's happening in the musical world" He said handing her some paper explaining the layout and design of her column.

"Wow! Thank you this is perfect" Amelia says her eyes fixed to the paper, she couldn't believe her luck.

"When can I start!" She continued still smiling at the paper in front of her.

"I like your enthusiasm! See, this is exactly what this company needs. A young intelligent journalist, writing about something she loves and has a passion for" Mr Miles said grinning as much as Amelia.

"I'm hoping for you to start your first assignment tomorrow ready to be published on Saturday" he said lighting another cigar.

"Tomorrow?" She said looking up.

"Yes. Is that a problem?" He questioned.

"Not at all, I didn't realise how soon you wanted me to start working!" Amelia replied.

They continued their conversation, talking about the history of "The London Post" and how Mr Miles was carrying on a family tradition as being the head of the company. Amelia sat, with her left leg over her right, nodding every now and then agreeing with every word her boss said. She felt as if he was like a grandfather already, not just because of his age of course. He was giving her advise on this and that and the other until he closed the conversation.

"Right. Now that we've drawn our chat to a close, I'll get Michelle to give you a tour." He said ringing a bell and within seconds she was there.

Michelle took Amelia to the printing room first, it was big and bright with the smell of ink from the printer. There must've been over 200 workers there. Next, she brought her to the staff room for The London Post staff only. Whilst Michelle was there she decided to show Amelia how the tea and coffee machine worked. Then she showed Amelia her office.

"I have my own office!?" She questioned in shock.

"But this is my very first job!" She said turning to Michelle who was smiling.

"Yes but you have just as much knowledge and writing ability as the writers who have been here for 10 years!" She testified.

"It's only small and Mr Miles thought you deserved it, so please, make yourself at home" And with that Michelle was back at reception.

Amelia couldn't contain her excitement any longer and started jumping up and down with the largest grin on her face.