•Part 24•

August 6th 1965

She quickly arrived to her trust worthy bakery for lunch and she couldn't wait to tell Sheila all that had happened the night before.

"You'll never guess what..." she exclaimed, not even an inch into the bakery, but was interrupted.

"Hello" Paul said appearing out of nowhere and Amelia was bewildered.

"How did you know I was here?" She asked confused.

"Where else would you get your pasties from" he smirked and turned to Shelia who seemed unusually relaxed.

"He's told me everything" she stage whispered to her and smiled back at him making her laugh.

"Let's take a walk" he said handing Amelia her her warm lunch and took it from him.

The gave a glance to Shelia who pushed them to go and was fine with them leaving so they did. The walked and talked about what they'd been up to. Amelia quickly recognised where they were going and took the lead instead.

"Afternoon" the man at the counter nodded reading the latest issue of a music magazine.

They waved giving the male time to realise that he'd just witnessed Paul McCartney in his record store with a girl he'd seen in here before. He quickly looked back at his magazine pretending that he hadn't noticed the pair but Amelia just smiled.

"Looking a bit short" he whispered keeping the volume low and looking at the Beatles section.

"Very popular still" she said raising an eyebrow and nodding.

They left a silence as they skimmed through the artists and bands they knew and loved.

Paul moved nearer her as she was creeping away in her own little world of music. He linked his pinky finger with hers discreetly but moved the rest of their fingers together.

"Are you available this evening?" Paul asked looking back at her eyes.

She searched around her mental calendar and nothing important seemed to spring to mind "Yes" she replied.

"I'll pick you up around 6" he confirmed.

"From where?" She realised.

"Your house" he suggested.

"My house?" She said rather perplexed.

"Is that a problem?" He chuckled lightly.

"My Mother and Father don't even know we're together!" She whispered making sure the man in the corner man didn't here.

"Can't you tell them tonight?" He said.

"Paul! My parents, especially my mum, don't work like that! You can't just turn up and be like 'oh yeah I'm going out with your daughter'" she said trying to make him understand.

"Well then you'll never tell them" he said stopping her speech.

He was right. If she couldn't tell them now then when would she? Everything would surely work out in the end, she thought.

"Ok" she started "tonight. I'll tell them. As soon as I get home in fact".

"There you go! Now, dress formally unless you want to be an embarrassment" he said.

"Ok" she said trying to guess where he could be taking her.

"Where do you live?" He asked.

"Excuse me?" She said confused.

"I need your address so I can pick you up!" He said raising his voice slightly but quickly was hushed by her.

"Oh right um" she said and rummaged through her pockets and found a small piece of paper.

Paul handed her a pen and she scribbled down her address.

"There. I better get back to work, six o'clock right?" She said making sure her timing was correct.

"Indeed" he said "oh I almost forgot" he remembered and pulled out her camera from his large coat pocket.

She reached out and hugged him giving him a quick kiss on his cheek "thankyou, I'll see you soon" she whispered and left back to her office.

***

She braced herself, taking in a large gulp of air, and knocked on the door. She knew she had to stay away from him but he was the only one who actually made photographs for the papers look quite decent.

"Come in" he said and she entered.

"Hello Will" she said and his head shot up out of the papers he was reading.

"Amelia?" He said and stood up quickly "why are you here? Are you trying to get me fired? You've got to leave" he said trying to get her out of the door without touching her.

"No I'm not, I just want you to publish some photos for me" she said trying to ease him and holding her camera out to him.

"Oh right, when do they need to be finished?" He said taking the camera from her hand and walking back to his seat.

"Next Friday, ready for Saturday" she informed him and he nodded.

"Ok, thank you" he said and she stood not knowing what to do then left awkwardly.

"Thank goodness that's over" she sighed and went back to her own office.

She began to write her article about the press conference referring back to her notepad that she had made rough notes of what other journalists had asked. Most of the time she didn't even look at the paper as she could visualise what had happened. It was very difficult for her not to write about her time with Paul but it seemed ever so suspicious so she crossed it out and replaced it with the situation about Karen. She couldn't help but smile at what she was writing and she thought the world ought to know how horrible Karen was.

And also that John was now single.

The article was almost complete by the time the bell rang so she packed her things and left for the train station.