•Part 31•

October 8th 1965

The morning was crisp showing the first glimpse of winter making Amelia feel excited. Winter was her favourite time of year, partly because of Christmas but it was also near her birthday. December 16th to be frank.

Her heels clicked along the pavement. She had stayed at her parents for the weekend and was going to for the rest of the week as she had spent a lot of time with Paul. It was that kind of morning were you could see your own breath every time you exhaled. Amelia hummed to herself to keep occupied as she walked briskly from the station. She was about to turn left down to the headquarters when she was stopped.

"Are you Amelia Jordan?" A relatively young looking girl said jumping in front of her.

Amelia tried to quickly control her breathing after being slightly scared from the sudden approach.

"Yes I am" she smiled remaining polite.

The girl gasped "you're the one in the paper!".

Amelia smiled greater "indeed I am. Is there anything you want?" She asked.

The girl froze sustaining a puzzled and shocked expression "you're going out with Paul McCartney" she paused some more "what's he like?" She said suddenly snapping out of her trance.

Amelia began to walk  "oh well he's talented, funny, sweet. All the gentleman characteristics" she laughed a little gazing up at the clouds as if she was dreaming.

"Really? Wow. I never knew. Well, thank-you for talking to me Miss Jordan" she said.

"And thank you. May I ask what your name is?" She said bending down to her height, she now realised she was a lot younger than Amelia had thought.

"Jemima. Jemima Page" she said smiling.

"And how old are you? If you don't mind me asking of course" Amelia said wary of what she was saying.

"I'm 11" she said and dropped her head to look at her shoes. Amelia followed her eyeliner and noticed her clothes looking slightly scruffy, then a hole in her cardigan and then a patch of dirt on her rosy cheek.

"Shouldn't you be at school then?" She asked now confused as to why she was around at this time and hinting to her appearance.

"Yes I do, it doesn't start till 8:30" Jemima said looking back up at her, she had bright hazel eyes. Still, Amelia was puzzled as to why she looked so scruffy and Jemima noticed this even though Amelia was trying to hide it.

"Don't worry, I'm not an orphan or homeless. But I wouldn't exactly say I'm rich" Jemima continued and Amelia realised relaxing a bit more now that she had confirmation.

Amelia glanced at the time "Well it was lovely to talk to you Jemima but I have to go to work now, and you should probably head off for school".

"Ok, can you sign this first" she said holding up a scrap piece of paper.

Amelia reached for a pen that she always kept in her coat pocket, just incase. She quickly signed, making sure not to use her bank signature, and handed back to her.

"Thankyou" she Hermes genuinely and flew off in the opposite direction.

Amelia walking into the newspaper offices content and fulfilled with her day already. It seemed odd to her that one person, even a little girl, can impact their whole morning. She thought about what Jemima had said about her status. "Not exactly rich" she said. Neither was Amelia but she knew what she meant judging by the clothes and language used. It wasn't posh and it wasn't sloppy but somewhere in the middle. Amelia then pondered on the fact that she knew her and basically asked for her autograph. She was probably just asking because she was in a relationship with Paul, Amelia thought.

But it was still funny to her that someone actually recognised her. She remembered the article that she'd seen the day before, was that how everyone viewed her? As a young hooligan? 

October 9th 1965

The next day was similar. The morning was chilly once again and this time Amelia was approached by two more girls. They both asked for autographs and more gossip about the band, which she knew she was strictly forbidden to talk about, but they left just in time for her to be at work.

October 12th 1965

Then the following days seemed to repeat themselves. More autographs and more people asking about Amelia and her love life. Today there were at least 10 girls talking to her as she walked to work which caused to be late. She spoke to Mr Miles and explained the problem but he said it would all blow over soon.

The clock span quickly and soon it was time for her bakery break. She slipped on her thick coat and began to walk through the corridor. As she reached closer to the doors she heard a sort of roaring and chanting sound but she couldn't make out what was being said.

"Can you hear that?" She asked Rachel who was beside her, she shook her head.

They decided to open the doors and the roaring increased. The steps were filled with people, some excited and some angry looking. Amelia felt intimidated as she gripped onto Rachel. She could hear them saying different things all at once but she knew they were directed at their. There were at least 200 people as they crowed the street and steps below her. To protect themselves, Rachel and Amelia slammed the doors shut before the huge number of people could get in the headquarters. The pair took a few steps back and breathing heavily not knowing what to do.

"What's all the commotion about?" Mr Miles said walking into the foyer.

"Take a look for yourself but I suggest you don't open the doors" Amelia said.

He walked to the window apprehensive of what was lurking outside. Slowly, he crept back the netting and peered through the glass to see what was really outside the doors. Amelia, Rachel and practically everyone in the who building watched as his eyes widened and took a few steps back.

"Ok" he said clearing his throat "everyone exit for their lunch break through the back doors please" he left a pause as the crowed waited for more, he sighed "and your break will be extended by 10 minutes".

With that everyone cheered and fled out the back entrance. Amelia and Rachel hung back as the staff left.

"What if this happens everyday?" Rachel asked slowly walking beside her.

"I don't know" she said trying to think of a solution "I guess I'll have to wear a disguise" she said grabbing a bowler hat from a stand.

Rachel giggled as she watched her prance down the hallway looking slightly odd. Amelia laughed with her and placed the hat back to its original position. They finally left smiling and sniggering making their way to the bakery.