•Part 7•

November 1st 1963

It had been 2 months since Amelia joined the London Post. Her first article, with the title "is Classical Music not so Classic?", went down a storm and the photos came out perfect. She had framed it in the newspaper and hung it on her wall. Her family were incredibly proud and felt as if she was the next top journalist. Amelia still had some way to go though, she want well known but the local bakery would listen to every conversation she had with Shelia but she didn't mind. Will had become more of a friend to her and he regularly help her with her own photography which she was surprisingly good at.

Today was just another Friday at her glorious office. Where, as usual, people would smile and say "good morning Miss Jordan" and she'd reply. She checked her letter box which was usually empty but today it wasn't. Amelia picked up the letter and tucked her folders under her arm so she could open it.

"Dear Miss Jordan,

On behalf of the royal family, we would like to invite you to the Royal Variety Performance on Monday 4th of November.

We believe that having a young journalist would be beneficial for reporting this event. We would like to give you the task of writing an article about the performance specifically focusing on our main act "The Beatles".

The dress code is evening dress and should be formal. Photography is prohibited during the performance but is allowed at the after party.

The performance will be held at The Prince of Wales Theatre in London and we expect all guests to arrive by 8:00 pm. The performance begins at 8:15 and should finish by 10:00.

Yours faithfully,

The Royal Variety Performance Team"

She stepped back and dropped her arms losing all feeling in her body. Her breath had been sucked out of her and she couldn't find the words to express the joy of what she had just read. So she squealed and jumped up and down without a care in the world.

"What is it!?" Her friend Rachel asked tapping her on the shoulder. Amelia was still in her bubble of joy so she just handed her the letter.

"Oh my goodness! Amelia! You're going to THE Royal Variety Performance?" She said with her mouth wide opens and Amelia nodded.

They both jumped up and down then suddenly a round of applause commenced and Amelia curtseyed.

"What is all this commotion about?" Mr Miles said pacing in and noticing her being showered with an applause that was suddenly stopped.

"I've been invited to The Royal Variety performance as one of their journalists!" She said handing him the letter formally as he skimmed the letter.

"Well will you look at that! One of my staff being invited to one of the top performances of all time, well done Amelia I knew you could do it" he said vigorously shaking her delicate hand which she shook off afterwards behind her back.

Mr Miles strolled back to his office whistling to himself and all the staff flooded in congratulating her. Amelia eventually made her way back to her office with Rachel following.

"You know what we need to do now?" She said slamming the door smiling greatly.

"No?" Amelia replied taking a seat with exhaustion.

"We've got to go dress shopping!!" She said and Amelia felt another rush of excitement run through her.

"Yes!! We shall do that tomorrow!!" She said and they squealed again like stereotypical girls.

"I must get back to work, it's nearly lunch by the way" she said and she left swiftly.

Amelia sighed and shook her head I disbelief. All the work had finally payed off and someone outside of the business had recognised her talent. She quickly rang her parents telling them the good news and they were ever so proud for her. Now, there was one person left to tell. She grabbed her back and left her office to make her way down to the bakery.

"Shelia!" She shouted when she noticed she wasn't there.

"One second!" Amelia heard her yell from the kitchen.

"Yes yes your pastie is in the oven calm down!" She said out of breath and a smudge of flower on her forehead.

"It's not that look!!" She said forcing the letter in her dusty face.

"Dear Miss Jordan," she's started and mumbled the rest "THE ROYAL VARIETY PERFORMANCE! THE BEATLES! AMELIA!" She finally read allowed.

"I know! Isn't it wonderful?" She said her eyes with her eyes wide.

"What are you going to wear!" Shelia said moving over to the kitchen to pick up Amelia's pastie.

"Is not sure yet, but I'm going shopping tomorrow with Rachel. You can join us if you want?" She asked politely trying to include her.

"I'd love to! I've just got to haggle my uncle to see if I can get time off work. Mind you, I'm not the best person to help choose fancy outfits!" Sheila said and they laughed as she handed her the pastie.

"Great. I'll call round about 10 o'clock?" Amelia replied suggesting a time.

"Sounds good to me, have a great day love" she said hugging her awkwardly over the counter and they said goodbye.

Once Amelia had finished her pastie and returned to base, she informed Rachel about Shelia joining them which she was ok with. They had never met before but Amelia had told both of them about each other. Amelia didn't know what to do with herself so she planned what she would write about in her article for the performance.

"I'm seeing the Beatles" she said dropping her fountain pen in realisation and she leaned back scratching her scalp.

After her trance, she carried on with her plans and drew out an outfit to see whether she wanted to wear a dress or a skirt and a blouse. She decided to ditch the outfit sketch and banished the paper to the bin. Amelia then pack up her things as she traveled home.